2 way lighting question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I want to put in some exterior lighting using a 2 way switch.
Can I connect the supply to the first switch?
All the diagrams I have seen have the circuit coming into the light fitting and then a 2c+e coming into the first switch and a 3c+e going to the second switch.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Yes, you can do this.

You'll have the brown and blue feed to the switch, the brown and blue to the light and the three-core between switches.

Connect the two blues (neutral) together in a terminal block inside the switch enclosure.

Connect the browns (phase) from each twin and earth to L1 and L2, then connect the three core (with black and grey cores sleeved brown as they are both phase conductors) just as shown in the diagrams - brown to Com, then black and grey to L1 and L2.

(It's exactly the same method but cutting out the middle-man of the ceiling rose.)

if you look at the diagrams you will notice what you ask is not possible for the reasons you have stated, also (before ban-all-sheds mentions it) you should also be aware of part p

Thanks for your responses.

This is more a hypothetical question at the moment to see if it's feasible.
I have an external power supply that could be used as a supply but I want a switch at the end of the garden so that they can be switched on/off at either end of the garden.

Sponsored Links
Hi Dingbat

Where does the supply get wired into?
I have room inside the switch so I can do what you suggest but I don't fully understand where teh live would go.

Any chance of a diagram?

Thanks

Do you mean you want to take the feed into one switch and the light from the other?

I'm just not quite sure I'm clear on what you want

I was looking at the diagrams in the wiki pages and the ceiling rose or light fitting takes in the power supply and then goes off to the light switch with a third wire going to the 2nd switch to allow 2 way switching.
What want to do, due to the nature of the setup, is to run the power supply to a switch then onto the lights with the 3rd wire running between the switches.

This is due to having a power supply next to where I want a switch to be and the lights to be strung up the garden fence with the 2nd switch at the far end of the garden.

I've just looked at another of the wiring diagrams and if i can fit a terminal strip into the switch casing then I can run 2 wires out of the switch and loop inthe lights on the 2c+e and run the 3c+e upto the other switch. If i can't fit the terminal strip in then I could always get a junction box in place

Taking a live and neutral feed to a switch then connecting a light and another switch in a two-way arrangement is absolutely straightforward; I did exactly that on Friday and my original response explained how to do it.

But I feel it would be irresponsible to advise you further; your original post didn't mention it being outside. As you're planning to extend a circuit into the garden this work is notifiable and extra regulations apply.

As you can't work out how to wire this up and you're also talking about a restricted budget you should consider putting it on hold while you save up for an electrician to do it properly and safely.

Hi Dingbat,
My original post did mention it was exterior work.
my budget isn't that restricted but wireless switches seems over the top in any circumstance which is what I meant.

Thanks for all your responses though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back