Brink of madness!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is a simple problem but causing a lot of stress!

here we go,

Switch 1 3C + e and a black and red wire , wired correctly

Switch 2 3C + e and 6 wires , 3 red 3 black, going into a 3 gang 2 way switch

what i want :

1) for the first button on the 3 gang to operate as a 2 way

2) the other 2 buttons to operate separatly - the initial configuration meant that the thrid light would only work if the second light was on using a bridge wire between the 2nd and 3rd connections

If you can help plz help! im going mad as i know this is easy but im missing something

THank you!

Sponsored Links
the initial configuration meant that the thrid light would only work if the second light was on using a bridge wire between the 2nd and 3rd connections

If you tell us how you wired it to make it do this, then we can probably tell you how to wire it to make it work properly

the first switch is wired as shown in the sticky...

i only messed with the 3gang switch so i know for a fact that the other one is fine.

thats the problem adam!! i was a little too hasty to start trying different configurations...

after i opened the casing this is what i saw:

switch 1 - blue and yellow in L1 and L2 respectivly, one black in com
switch 2 - bridge from L1 to com in 3rd
switch 3 - black in an L port

the 2 of the remaining wires where connected togehter, and the final wire appeared to have been connected but had broken off and was loose inside the casing

Sponsored Links
this is the sort of thing thats very difficult to do over a forum, we can't just say oh this wire will go there in all situations, depends on whether its been wired a popular way, if we have enough info to spot that, etc

It needs someone there with a multimeter working out what cables do what, and no offence meant but judging by your posts, I don't think you presently have enough knowledge to do it, I think you would be best calling in a spark to be honest

my multimeter decided to die on me, blown resistor.

i know it sounds as though i have no idea what im talking about but i just cant seem to map out the wiring diagrams

gonna get a decent multimeter and give it a crack tomoz.

if i fail , ill draw up the diagram as it is with the details of each wire.

seems like a waste of money to get a sparky out to wire up a single light switch

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back