Replacing a section of damaged lighting cable with 3C+E.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im replacing a damaged section of my lighting circuit in two bedrooms because there is no earth continuity.

At present there is L/N/E at the switch. I want to run a replacement section of cable from this switch to the light. I will then continue to the next switch and onto the final light fitting.

As the first light fitting is on the cable route to the second switch, I propose using 3C+E from the intitial switch to the fitting to supply a L/SWL/N/E. I will then use 2C+E to take L/N/E onto the next switch. Does this sound reasonable?

switch--->---L/SWL/N/E--->---fitting--->---L/N/E--->---switch--->---SWL/N/E--->---fitting

Or am I best to just use the conventional 2C+E method, instead taking another 2C+E on the route for the first fitting for my switched line?

Sponsored Links
Sounds fair enough to me, just make sure that each conductor is correctly identified, as 3&e is brown/black/grey, brown sleeving (tape at a minimum) on two cores and blue on the third.

Why would you sleeve the brown core brown?

bongos - use grey for neutral, not black.

Sponsored Links
can you post photo's of what you have where? it seems a little iffy by your description...

are you saying that you have "loop in" at the switches, and you want to part convert it to "loop in" at the ceiling roses?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back