hazard light update

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My last post described a hall light switch that gave a shock when a metal face plate was fitted, in spite of being earthed. The lamp wiring has now been inspected.. it's a huge mess and it looks indeed like one of the earths is connected to a live, explaining the shock. So it's currently staying switched off until the lapm can be rewired properly. There are 5 cables in total attached to the lamp and 4 terminal blocks (T1-T4) wrapped up in insulating tape. Any ideas why there are 5 cables and how an ordinary light fitting could be re-wired to all these...
Cable 1: L>T1; N>T4; E>T1
Cable 2: L>T2; N>T4; E>T1
Cable 3: L>T2; N>T3; E>T2
Cable 4: L>T2; N>T4; E>T1
Cable 5: L>T2; N>T4; E>T1

The lamp is connected L>T3; N>T4
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Having just drawn out your writings on a piece of paper, I deduce:

T1 = Earth

T2 = Live Loop

T3 = Switched Live (no marker)

T4 = Neutral

But somehow, T1 has a live terminating in it.

But why isn't the CPD operating?

Sponsored Links
worthless.gif

And if there is a direct L/E short as you describe, why isn't the CPD operating?

I'm thinking this is a nightmare setup,sounds like CPCs used as live conductors and vice versa. I think you really ought to be getting an electrician in to take a look before someone gets hurt.

This is just a guess, but how about swapping the cpc in T2 for the live in T1??

I'm thinking someone has done a DIY botch on it & got wires in the wrong loc's.

BUT I'M STILL WONDERING WHY THE CPD IS NOT OPERATING!!!!!

Maybe the earth is not connected at the CCU :?:

Or somewhere else in the circuit

Or if the CPD is a rewire fuse, someone may have used a larger size of fuse wire, or something else conductive.

Or if the CPD is a MCB, could the MCB have failed.

mdbalson said:
RF you seem to be using that picture alot at the moment, is it your favorite picture at the moment then :?:

You may have me confused with someone else.

First time I've ever posted it.

it might have come from someone else...

was Posted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:24 am

securespark said:
BUT I'M STILL WONDERING WHY THE CPD IS NOT OPERATING!!!!!

I'm thinking that the cores may have been incorrectly used i.e. if the CPC core is used as a live conductor (about as wrong as it can get) at both ends of the cable it won't operate the CPD, if the L (I take it the OP is assuming they are all lives as they are red?) core is used for earth at both ends the CPD won't operate. For the N, I take it the OP is assuming every black conductor is a neutral.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I think securespark's 'deduction' was correct first time about T1-T4 - with an earth in the live loop put in by some idiot who used to live here! I don't know why the CPD didn't work, perhaps because the earth wire in the live loop was from the switch cable..?? or maybe because the main earth terminal was in ome bizzare DIY botch arrangement, a bit loose and not attached to anything... there ar eno other problems with earth in the house - all other sockets and switches fine. All that said, can anyone explain what the extra 2 cables are for in the ceiling? i.e. switch, supply, cable to next light... plus 2 more cables? also, what's the best way to test that the earth in the switch is no longer live - a multimeter presumably? what should I look for when testing?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back