2 way dimmer switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just removed a 2 way switch and attempted to replace this with a 2 way dimmer. The wires are as follows brown, black and blue. I thought the new dimmer would be just as easy to replace however the dimmer has the following options, L Sw, and ~(with and arrow through it).

The previous switch had the C, L1 & L2 options.

The dimmer is designed by cassa.

Could anyone help with the correct wiring

Cheers :)

Sponsored Links
zooming said:
I have just removed a 2 way switch and attempted to replace this with a 2 way dimmer. The wires are as follows brown, black and blue. I thought the new dimmer would be just as easy to replace however the dimmer has the following options, L Sw, and ~(with and arrow through it).

The previous switch had the C, L1 & L2 options.

The dimmer is designed by cassa.

Could anyone help with the correct wiring

Cheers :)
by to wya do you mean operated from 2 different switches or 2 way as in the switch controls 2 lights?

the kitchen has two light switches that controls two lights. The first which i am trying to change has 1 dimmer control which operates light number 1. The second switch has two rocker controls, the first operates the same light as the one I'm trying to change and the second operates a different light. I think the switch I'm trying to change is 1 gang two way

zooming said:
the kitchen has two light switches that controls two lights. The first which i am trying to change has 1 dimmer control which operates light number 1. The second switch has two rocker controls, the first operates the same light as the one I'm trying to change and the second operates a different light. I think the switch I'm trying to change is 1 gang two way

you cant have a dimmer and a normal switch to control 1 light. to do that you need a special dimmer what can have slave dimmers

Sponsored Links
andy

on the packaging the instruction say, for 2 way switching circuits, existing 2 way switches must be replaced with 2 way momentary (retractive) switches.

I have a further double dimmer for the other side of th kitchen. I take it this won't work either

zooming said:
andy

on the packaging the instruction say, for 2 way switching circuits, existing 2 way switches must be replaced with 2 way momentary (retractive) switches.
That sounds as if they are designed for an environment like the French "auto alimentation" system of using latching relays for multi-way switching.

And therefore unsuitable for the UK as we don't use those kind of switches. Where did you buy it? Got a link to the manufacturer's website?

I have a further double dimmer for the other side of th kitchen. I take it this won't work either
Probably not.

Hi I too have exactly the same problem.

Same make of dimmer Cassa and i bought mine from HOMEBASE!

I am hoping to replace a two way switch in my living room with a 2 way dimmer. i can turn the living room light off or on at two places.( one of which is on the double switch i am hoping to replace ) and the landing light on at two places. ( again one of which is on the double switch i am hoping to replace ) the switch i have currently has 2 x com and 2 x L1 and 2x L2 connections.

the new switch has an L an Sw and a ~ with an arrow through it also.

Am i right in saying that the other light switches that control the landing and living room have to be dimmers also? or that it cant be done?

Any help appreciated. What does com \ L1 and L2 coincide with on the new dimmer? L \ Sw and ~ with an arrow through it?

Thanks

CAN POST PICTURES OF WIRING IF REQUIRED.

I have seen these Cassa dimmers in Homebase and as B-A-S quite rightly said the ~ terminal is for a retractive switch to conect to by way of operating a latching relay. Basically you use a retractive switch to momentarily switch 240v onto the terminal.

From what I can remeber you need 3c&E between the two back boxes, have one dimmer in circuit and a retractive switch at the other. When the retractrive switch is operated it will bring on the lights at the level set by the dimmer. You then have to go to the dimmer to change light level.

They look good in the shop (as I was tempted), but when I saw how they worked, I stuck with a good old MK LV dimmer and a normal switch arrangement.

If you want to dim lights like this properly you need to spend some real money on something like a Lutron graphik eye or similar.

thanks stephen.

So if i buy a retractive switch to replace the other switches in the living room and landing?

I am thinking the same as you - take it back!

How much are they ( only if you know off the top of your head ) and can they simply replace the other switches ( rockers ) in the circuit?

:confused:

Making edits to this in case anybody in the future does a search, and gets the wrong info before reading to the end.

Funky said:
So if i buy a retractive switch to replace the other switches in the living room and landing?
Then you'll have even more problems.
That might well work - check the technical info for the dimmer, if all it needs are those switches, and no other external stuff, then it will be OK. See the topic referenced below re the GET dimmer.

How much are they ( only if you know off the top of your head )
Easy enough to search for on the interwebby or on suppliers' sites...

and can they simply replace the other switches ( rockers ) in the circuit?
No - they are only momentary in action. A bell push switch is a familiar example. They only work in lighting circuits on conjunction with latching relays, or in this case with a dimmer that has a latching function. Just on their own you'd have to stand there holding the button pressed for as long as you wanted the lights on, which would probably be unacceptable.
Subject to that being all that's needed yes - when pressed they tell the dimmer switch to toggle on/off.

Your situation is further complicated because at the other end of the 2-way circuit is a 2-gang switch, one gang of which needs to be retractive to work with the dimmer, and the other gang of which needs to be a normal 2-way to work with another normal 2-way switch. You could put together such a combination by using a grid system, but that's an awful lot of bother and expense to go to just to get this dimmer working.

This is still true in your case.

Better to take it back, and if you care to, ask Homebase what the **** their buyer is playing at by getting in dimmer switches which are fundamentally incompatible with UK wiring practices.
You may still wish to return it, particularly as their story seems to be that they stock the dimmers but can't be bothered to give shelf space to the other components you need (but then they are a shed - what do you expect? You've seen the knuckle-draggers that work on the floor, why should their buyers be any higher up the evolutionary scale?).

nicely put Ban All Sheds!

I will indeed be back there with dimmer in hand ready to stick where the sun dont shine!

And I will be asking what they are playing at. What i also did not add was this dimmer is electrical with an LED to tell you if it is on or on standby!!!!

I am guessing that further complicates things!

Thanks very much for the advice..

Yeah, take it back and buy a 2 way dimmer thats designed for the uk, where pressing the dimmer knob switches a latching two way switch, and the actual dimmer part of it is wird in series with the common of that switch

Places like wilkinson hardware stores have them

Funky/Zooming - what was the outcome of all this?

This news may be a little late for you - it looks as though we all jumped on the bandwagon of "it won't work in the UK" when if you install a complete system of matching switches it might, if it's the same as the GET product - see this //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=36738

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back