2 way light switch problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Everyone,

I have a problem wiring a 2 way switch. This is a part completed rewire. Unfortunately my electrician seems to have disappeared and I'm finding it difficult to get anyone else to finish a half completed job.

At the back of a 2 way switch, I have 4 cables - 3 twin and earth cables, one which comes from the consumer unit, one which goes to the downlights, and one which goes to the other light switch. However, there is also another cable which has 1 black wire, 1 grey wire, 1 brown wire and an earth wire. This again goes to the other switch.

The second switch also has 4 cables - 3 twin and earth - 1 which comes from the first switch, 1 which goes to an outside light, and 1 which goes to a light in another room. There is also The cable which comes from the first switch which has the grey wire, black wire, brown wire and the earth.

I'm really struggling and wonder if anyone can tell me how to connect these.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
In the UK Electrics subforum you'll find schematics for 2 way lighting. Start by drawing your 2 way switches with their L1 L2 and C and the wires which come from them, and from and to the CU and lights, and try to figure it out from the schematics.

Unfortunately there's more than one way it can be wired, and electricians aren't always consistent with wire colours.

SOunds like you have two, double two way switches? Seems too many wires for just two, separate single two way switches?

The second switch also has 4 cables - 3 twin and earth - 1 which comes from the first switch, 1 which goes to an outside light, and 1 which goes to a light in another room. There is also The cable which comes from the first switch which has the grey wire, black wire, brown wire and the earth.
Are these both one gang switches, or is the second a two gang switch, with one switch controlling the outside light?

Sponsored Links
Like this probably/maybe, sorry it's not the neatest I've had a few skoll lol
Screenshot_20231125-165049_Gallery.jpg

Work out which are loop in/loop out cables (normally found at ceiling rose but appears to have been looped at the switch which is not uncommon). Three core and earth, connect the live (brown) to Com. switched lives (black and grey) to L1 and L2, as long they are consistent at each switch it wont matter which way round. Then sort out the supply, loop in /loop out in a terminal block shoe horned into L2 live brown and L2 blue neutral. Earths sorted accordingly. You can then work out the wiring for the outside light etc.

Blup

Thanks for your reply. Yes, the second switch is a 2 gang, with one switch controlling the outside light
Ok,
Apologies for the drawing and lack of labels, it's been done on my phone! :)
It may look something like this.
Earth's excluded for clarity.
If you get switches with a loop terminal it will be easier...
image40.png

Edit, added labels!

Additionally, the grey and black wires should be oversleeved in brown, to denote they are switched lives.

Screenshot_20231125-170446_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20231125-170532_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
Oh I had it as a 3 gang to switch light in the other room, sorry so with 2 gang just put that brown into common instead of L1 as I had it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back