2 Way Light Switch Wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would appreciate some help with wiring a two-way switch in my garage.

Currently there is a single switch with C, L1 and L2 which operates a light. Two individual cables, one from the consumer unit and one from the light connects into the switch. One brown wire connects to C and another to L1. The blue wires are not connected but grouped together by a blue plastic sheath. The earth wires are connected to the earth block.

At the new switch I intend to connect the 3core and earth wire as follows:- Grey to C, Brown to L1, Black to L2 and Earth to block. I presume that this will be the same when connecting to the existing switch?

Should the existing brown and blue wires remain in the positions described in the first paragraph above or will I need to move them?

Hope this is clear and I look forward to some help.

Sponsored Links
Connect the 3 cores to the same 3 terminals both ends.

You will need to move the 2 existing cores into L1 and L2. Dont touch the neutrals.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back