2-way lighting switch - can't get it right

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a landing light, controlled by two switches. One downstairs, one upstairs.
I've replaced the upstairs switch, and I've been unable to rewire it successfully! (yes, I do regret no noting which wire was wired to which terminal :D )

I have 3 wires coming from downstairs (red, blue + yellow), an 2 wires from the light (red + red). This is a mid 80's house.

Could anyone advise which wire I need to connect to which terminal on the switch?

Sponsored Links
not the diagram that Jake has kindly submitted that the core colours are now different.
so
new=old
brown=red
black=yellow
blue=grey

The two reds you have coming from your fitting in the diagram, one red will be permanent live and supplying the live to switch via the loop and the second will be returning the live to the lamp(bulb?) this will be connected to the live terminal on the fitting.

Hi
Sorry i thought he would now

Edit this is what your looking for it is on the Wiki section

Thanks
Jake

Sponsored Links
put the red/yellow/blue in exactly the same holes as the downstairs switch ( we can't tell you which ones as they may not use a standard layout.. )
then put the one red in L1 and the other red in L2.. ( from the red/red cable.. ) and the earths to the backbox if metal ( and to the switch if they are metal too.. ), or into a connector block if it's plastic ( still to switch if metal ) ..
DO NOT cut any earths off..

Thanks to you all :)
ColJack - you were spot on with your suggestion of matching whats downstairs to what I did upstairs.
The downstairs must have been wired using wrong colours or something, but I matched it upstairs and now it's all working :)

Thanks again.

The downstairs switch was:
L Red
L1 Yellow
L2 Blue

I think I'll redo the lot tomorrow so they're where they're supposed to be.

It really doesnt matter. Leave it alone if it works!

BTW, you should mark the blue and yellow wires with red or brown sleeving to show that they are wires that can become live.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back