2 way switch not working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Was wondering if anyone can tell me why me 2 way switch is not working? Im in the process if changing the switches in the house to new ones and the 2 way switch on the stairs is not working.

Initially it worked when hanging lose, but as soon as i screwed it back in it tripped the mains. Now it won't work at all and all bar on the lights on the circuit is not working.

I have attached photos.

Thank you!

Attachments

• 20180818_091304.jpg
    20180818_091304.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 91
  • 20180818_091351.jpg
    20180818_091351.jpg
    185.2 KB · Views: 108
  • 20180818_093606.jpg
    20180818_093606.jpg
    172.8 KB · Views: 92
Sponsored Links
you seam to have trapped that red wire on the side of the box.
That needs insulating. (bit of mastic out of a gun if you have one?) leave to set.

Where do the red and black go ? Are they loose? Maybe one went in yellow other in blue hole ? Reds need swapping though.

As Ban would say, these are guesses without out seeing the bigger picture.
i.e the other switch etc

Or the damaged red in the three core cable shorts to the exposed part of the earth wire (which is why earth wires need fully sleeving).

Blup

Sponsored Links
What type of Fuse/MCB serves the light? Could well be a re-wireable cartridge that needs new fuse wire?

Thanks for your replies everyone. The red and black go into a choc block which i think connects the rest of the lights on the circuit. This is the red which has a nick on the wire. I've put insulating tape on but still nothing is happening. Could it be the fuse, although one of the lights on the circuit works?

bit of mastic out of a gun if you have one
No.

If the copper core isn't damaged (doesn't look as if it is) slide some sleeving over it. If it is damaged it could well need cutting back and replacing.

No its bedroom one!
So check the connections inside this one and then try to work out where the next part of the light radial circuit goes to next. If you're not sure you'll have to check all the lights, could well be there is or was a loose connection that has come out completely after the short from the live.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back