new 2 way switch

G

greeny4

im am running the cables for an extension. 1 of the new switches will be 2 way with an old switch on the landing. The existing switch has x2 red singles in and a red/yellow/blue cable as its already 2 way with a switch at the bottom of the stairs. All of the new swiches are looped in and out with a spur to each light. To make the new switch work 2 way with the existing do i need to lay a red/yellow/blue between each switch and then a live loop from the last switch, cheers

Sponsored Links
im am running the cables for an extension.
What did you say on the application for Building Regulations approval about how you'd comply with Part P?

Not a trick question - it could be very important.

1 of the new switches will be 2 way with an old switch on the landing. The existing switch has x2 red singles in and a red/yellow/blue cable as its already 2 way with a switch at the bottom of the stairs. All of the new swiches are looped in and out with a spur to each light. To make the new switch work 2 way with the existing do i need to lay a red/yellow/blue between each switch and then a live loop from the last switch, cheers

//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:lighting

just says electrical work to be installed and designed in accordance to part p

But that's meaningless - you have to do that, just like you have to comply with Part A, Part B etc.

P1 Reasonable provision shall be made in the design and installation of electrical installations in order to protect persons operating, maintaining or altering the installations from fire or injury.

They didn't want any details on how you would comply, just like they would have wanted details on how you'd comply with all the other Building Regulations that apply?

Do they say anything anywhere on their website about them expecting you to use an electrician, or have it inspected by one?

Sponsored Links
Bit confused by your description.

Are you saying you already have a live feed/switch feed at one light and you want to make it two way? If so then run 3c+e between your existing switch and your new switch. Have a look in the wiki and draw out what you want to do.

But I might have what you're wanting to do all confused!

BTW - 3 c+e is now brown/black/grey. ;)

thats right bongos thats what i was thinking, just need the 3 core running between each socket just making sure that i needed a live feed at the new as well as the existing

Actually, I had completely forgotten.

Anyway, he's ColJack's project, I think we should all back off and let him take over - I don't suppose the scars are healed yet, so he can easily pick the scabs off and start again.

thats right bongos thats what i was thinking, just need the 3 core running between each socket just making sure that i needed a live feed at the new as well as the existing
Good luck, Col.

Actually, I had completely forgotten.

Anyway, he's ColJack's project, I think we should all back off and let him take over - I don't suppose the scars are healed yet, so he can easily pick the scabs off and start again.

Good luck, Col.

You really are a...

bangHeadAgainstWall.gif

Do you have a rational explanation for that contribution?

i.e. what value you think it adds, and why you think that it was the right thing to do?

John - you decided to join in this topic with that post.

You did so not in response to anything asked of you, directed at you or said about you.

Therefore you must have thought it relevant to what had already been written and that it would be a useful contribution.

Will you PLEASE start to act with some maturity and tell us what your rational explanation for it is, and why you think it is right for you to behave like this?

what a bunch of ****ing weirdos? out of all the trades, what is it with asking an electrian a question? sorry part time electricians on here as they seem to spend all day on here, struggling for work are we? cant ask questions people because your doing there work so theyll have to get the rule book out, all the best with your sad lives sat on the internet all day talking to each other loosers

Or maybe after 11 pages of handholding through a relatively simple process, people don't want to deal with you any more..

Particularly when even stuff so simple that a child could understand it is beyond your meagre mental capacity.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back