2 Way Switch Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I seem to have an issue with a two way switch, lets just say a and b. Here is what seem to be happening...

When B is in the off position (which seems to be reversed press up) A can switch the light on and off but B can't switch the light off when A has it on.

When A is in the off position B can't turn the light off (its in the off position). When A is in in the on position B can't turn the light off.

o0T9blM.jpg

A

0530nJk.jpg

B

Thanks
Sam

Sponsored Links
Turn off the power. Check for dead and isolate safely.

Check the wires in the switch terminals.

Sounds like 1 has come loose.

EDIT: Scrub that. I could not see your pix when I posted now I can.

How long has this problem existed?

Have you recently changed your switches?

It looks like you don't have enough conductors in the strapper terminals of switch A.

As an aside, remake the ends of the conductors so they are doubled over neatly. They will fit better into the terminals.

At a guess. On switch A.
A brown wire needs moving up to the hole with the grey.

The brown which needs moving is in the same cable as the blue

The problem has been there since we moved in. There is a light outside the door so I suspect looking at this at one point the switch has controlled both hall and door light or there has been a double replaced down to a single switch.

Sponsored Links
What is that disgusting mess with the mangled yellow crimps in the back of the box?

I agree with Andy.

Hello,

Not tried it yet but will do this afternoon and report back. I think the mangled mess behind is the outdoor light. What's the best way to neaten that up without reconnecting it?

Thanks
Sam

At a guess. On switch A.
A brown wire needs moving up to the hole with the grey.

The brown which needs moving is in the same cable as the blue

It's the lighter brown one you need to move.

Spot on advice its working correctly now. Thanks.

What would you suggest to neaten up those wires at the back with the crimps? the outside light isn't used anyway so it doesn't need to go into another switch.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back