2 way switch query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Making bathroom bigger and moved door now need to relocate two way swich on landing. Two way switch controls landing light. Upstairs two way has 2 wires feeding it. All red wires joined together, as are black and blue. The switch blue and white at bottom and white out of top.

Is the 2nd feed wire to the switch posibly the main feed as all lights in house are on one radial circuit? Any ideas please?

Sponsored Links
Here is a shot from the side - still live so not perfect but can see all connections..

GALLERY]

Upstairs two way has 2 wires feeding it.
It doesn't really - it looks more as if it has one feeding it (the one connected to COM).

All red wires joined together, as are black and blue. The switch blue and white at bottom and white out of top.
1) What's at the other 2-way switch?

2) Do you have a multimeter?

3) Where are all the earth conductors?

Is the 2nd feed wire to the switch posibly the main feed as all lights in house are on one radial circuit?
Please note that the red/black cable is not connected to the switch.

Any ideas please?
Why can't you leave the connections as they are?

Where do the cables currently run in the walls, and where do they need to run when the switch is moved? How/where will you extend the cables if necessary?

Sponsored Links
Thanks

Downstairs is a two way two gang switch. Gang 1 to the hall light and and gang 2 to the upstairs switch by one 3 core cable. No intermedate. No earth either. Looks like whoever wired this house up before used 3 core and not 3 core plus earth? Need a rewire I think?

Its being moved to the other side of the new bathroom door on the landing between the bedroom doors.

Is the 2nd wire feeding the upstairs lights from the CU? I will trace the cables tonight....

yes I have a multimeter.

gang 2 to the upstairs switch by one 3 core cable.
Is that the R/W/B one going to L1, L2 & the wirenut? How is it connected at the downstairs switch?

Are there 2 lights upstairs worked by these switches?

No earth either. Looks like whoever wired this house up before used 3 core and not 3 core plus earth? Need a rewire I think?
It would be a good idea. And until done do not use any lights which are not double insulated, or metal switches.

yes I have a multimeter.
Start finding out which wires go where.

Will the cables reach the new switch location?

That is a method of installation in which the neutral is not borrowed on an install that may have had a borrowed neutral at the time, there is a L&N feed up to the switch, the N is connected to the blue of the 3 core and taken to the rose, the other cables on the three core to the rose are perm L and switched live, the other three core has a L feed to the com terminal of the other switch and the blue / white are strappers.

This really should be replaced, especially if you are in a bit of a mess at the moment with plaster off the walls then get a sparky in to rewire.

At a guess, blue and white from 3core on the right strappers, red from that 3c feeding the common of downstairs switch.

3core on left, white switch to light, red and blue live and neutral for upstairs lights.

Maybe.

Maybe not.

At a guess, blue and white from 3core on the right strappers, red from that 3c feeding the common of downstairs switch.

3core on left, white switch to light, red and blue live and neutral for upstairs lights.

Maybe.

Maybe not.

I would agree with that. The cable on the left of the picture must be at the top of the switch, obviously the photo was taken on it's side.

Time for a re-wire, that wiring is at least 50 years old, and as already stated, lack of earth is a problem.

Thanks for all the feedback. The house was built in 1964 so this is the original wiring as spotted above. I will trace the wires back to source as most boards on landing have been raised having had a new combi fitted.

Yes cable on left is at top of switch (click pic to enlarge).

Maybe.

Maybe not.

Your right about that having checked the downstairs switch. So I will trace the source of the red and black cable

Traced the 2nd cable (red and black) was a feed from the downstair lights therefore I have now split the upstairs from down stairs light circuits. Complete rewire in progress now to a new CU. Thanks for all responses.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back