2 way switch wiring with single core cable?

First things first Andy: I never avoid a question, and I seldom have a problem admitting that I'm wrong - simply because that occasion doesn't often arise.

The use of a T&E strapper does not of itself lead to a shared neutral. There are many ways that a 2-way circuit can be wired safely on a single circuit without the use of 3C&E. And as I've already said: it doesn't make sense to cram so many wires into a multi-gang switch when fewer wires will do.

3-core has its uses in domestic wiring, but not always only for the 'standard' 2-way circuit that you're familiar with. Try this economic use of 3-core for the hall and 2-way to the landing for example:

From the hall CR (downstairs circuit) take a 3C&E - L,N, SL to the 2-gang switch in the hall (hall& landing) then link the commons and take a 3C&E (two strappers + neutral), cable from there to the 1-gang switch, 2-way switch on the landing. Then it's a simple matter of a T&E from the landing switch to the landing light via the common SL and the neutral in a connector block. No hint of a shared neutral, is there?

This isn't original thinking on my part: it's a widely used practice.

Lucia.

Sponsored Links
Trying to make sense of the lighting circuit upstairs.

folder_wiki.gif
Wiki: Please see if the answer to your query is already covered by the Wiki

Electrics UK --> Lighting & Lamps --> Two Way Lighting

Oh, look at the very first diagram...

:rolleyes:

From the hall CR (downstairs circuit) take a 3C&E - L,N, SL to the 2-gang switch in the hall (hall& landing) then link the commons and take a 3C&E (two strappers + neutral), cable from there to the 1-gang switch, 2-way switch on the landing. Then it's a simple matter of a T&E from the landing switch to the landing light via the common SL and the neutral in a connector block. No hint of a shared neutral, is there?

This isn't original thinking on my part: it's a widely used practice.

Lucia.

Well that method has the advantage to maintenance ppl as they only have to isolate one cct when playing in switches and won't get an unexpected shock. Although not very good for the 17th regs as it means both the hall and landing will be dark at the same time if an rcd/rcbo were to trip. Not very good near stairs.

My thoughts were to use a rose upstairs and take t&e down to the landing switch and then 3&e down stairs to the hall 2/3 gang switch. There is plenty of room in the landing switch for 2 wires per terminal. And no neutral junction downstairs taking room up which u seam concerned about although having a netural down there would be useful for an outside light.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back