2 way switches.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hoping someone can guide me with this one. I went to replace the two way light switches and have come unstuck. In the hallway downstairs I have a two way switch, left switch has a red cable in L1 and black in COM and works fine as this is a single light, right hand side controls upstairs and I have a red, blue and yellow cable free.

Upstairs I have another two way switch, right side has red into COM, another red into COM for the upstairs circuit and red into L1 to control bathroom light which is also working fine. There is a cable from COM right (Bathroom) to COM left (Stairs) and I am then left with the same red, blue and yellow cables as downstairs. I have had the light upstairs switching off and on from the upstairs switch and also doing the the same from the downstairs switch. I come unstuck when the light is switched on downstairs and I try and switch it off upstairs. Feel like I have done every permitation possible so am now asking for help.

Sponsored Links
I would wire it as follows
@ upstairs switch.
Red of 3 core cable to downstairs into com
Yellow & red link from bathroom common into L1
blue and red upstairs switch wire into L2
@ downstairs switch
Red of 3 core cable into com
Yellow into L1
Blue into L2

The bare earths should be sleeved green&yellow & connected either to the metal back box or to the switch faceplate if it is metal
Hope this helps

Sponsored Links
Or even here:

//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:lighting

You know - as per this at the top of the forum:

wikibm.jpg

Thanks Gram1980.

Been looking on here and other websites and couldnt see what I was missing. All is now working correctly.

Moderator 10 said:
Please note rule 1 (Abusive or unhelpful posts are not welcome.)

Oh - and this was helpful:

Was it?

OK - come on then, chm, please explain why.

The Wiki is a more comprehensive source of information than the old sticky topics, and it gets updated by people with better and/or changed information, unlike forum topics which can only be updated by the original author.

So will you please provide a mature, intelligent and reasoned explanation of why you responded with :rolleyes: when I suggested that someone should look at the Wiki instead of an old topic?

The Wiki is a resource created by many people here, and it is considered a valuable one, which should be read by people looking for help.

That's why there is that reminder at the top of the forum - it's there for a reason, not just for decoration.

So will you please provide an mature, intelligent and reasoned explanation of why you responded with :rolleyes: when I suggested that someone should take note of what it says?

Alternatively, if you're tempted to reply to this post with more inarticulate eye-rolling, or to ignore it, thus confirming that you have no mature, intelligent or reasoned justification for what you did, maybe you'd like to explain why you think your continued petty and childish sniping, motivated solely by personal dislike, is in the best interests of the forum?

The thumbs up/down feature had to be removed because of you and others like you, but still you think that you should be allowed to criticise what someone has written, not because of what it was but purely because you've taken a personal dislike to the person who wrote it.

So I point someone at a very useful forum resource, and highlight the fact that there's a request to look at that resource for a reason, I get some irrational and personally motivated criticism for doing that and I'm the one ruining the forum?

It is not I who needs to STFU.

Was there not a hint of sarcasm in the way you suggested that the OP should look at the Wiki ? It certainly seemed so to me.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back