2 Way Switching... again

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I changed some light fittings prior to a friends house move today then I thought I'd done something wrong in the landing lights and the hall light.

2 gang at the top and bottom of the stairs plus an intermediate in the hall downstairs.
After a bit of head scratching here's the circuit.
2 way switch wiring.jpg

Sponsored Links
Too late at night for me to get my head around all that ... maybe tomorrow :)

Kind Regards, John

Is it me, or have they not just accidentally switched the two greys around in the two gang switch?

Also the intermediate should not connect to a COM terminal. The two wires from the INT switch should connect to L1 and L2 the 2-way switches.

Sponsored Links
Too late at night for me to get my head around all that ... maybe tomorrow :)

Kind Regards, John
Replacing their 'horrible spotlights' with roses (at buyers request) should have been a POP and in fact it was. This house is under 3 years old and the switches were 'as built', my friend purchased is from new and quickly learnt which switches they could/couldn't use and didn't get round to getting the builder to sort it.
Is it me, or have they not just accidentally switched the two greys around in the two gang switch?
Nearly.
Also the intermediate should not connect to a COM terminal. The two wires from the INT switch should connect to L1 and L2 the 2-way switches.
Quite right.

This did take a bit of head scratching, more so because the cable sheath's didn't quite enter the back box and we ended up buzzing out all the wires.
In the end it was a simple grey/grey flip in one switch and a black/grey flip in the other.
During this lighting fix I heard the comment "It's gone again". So after sorting out the lights I found the kitchen appliance grid switch ring feeding: Fridge, freezer, dish washer, tumble drier, washing machine, water boiler, hood & under cupboard lights was on the 16A MCB labelled heating and the heating was on a 32A MCB labelled kitchen appliances. I will say the CU was beautifully laid out with the neutrals and earths in the right places for these 2 circuits (according to the labels) and completely spoilt when I swapped the lives into the correct MCB's.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back