20 amp split level cooker and seperate 5.8kw cooker hob

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello i have just obtained a 20 amp split level cooker and a seperate 5.8 kw cooker hob. i have an existing 30 amp cooker circuit which is wired in 6mm cable. Can i run these two units off of the 6mm cooker circuit at 30 amps or do i need to upgrade the wiring and the fuse rating? if i need to upgrade the fuse rating can i change it to the next one up which would be 45 amps ? :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
If they were a single appliance, the rules for calculating the load would produce an answer of 20.6A, so on that basis you don't need to change anything. Even if you apply the rule to each one individually, the total is only 27.6A.

The calculation assumes that a cooking appliance does not run at full power all the time, which is undoubtedly true once it's running, but you do risk a trip the day you turn on both ovens and all the hob rings simultaneously.

If it were mine, I'd do one of two things:

1) Install a second 6mm² 30A circuit, and use one for the oven and one for the hob

2) Put in a 10mm²/45A one.

Can your CU accommodate a 45A circuit? What type/rating is it?

my consumer unit tops out at 100 amps. can i put a 45 amp fuse onto a circuit which has a 6mm cable already installed with a 30 amp fuse?

Sponsored Links
you can just about provided there is no thermal insulation involved

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back