2001 Vauxhaul Astra oil in water system - flushing advice.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All.

I am desperate for advice. Sold personal items to buy an older but running nicely van to get back into work (unemployed for 9 months). Started working with it for 3 weeks and last Friday found water hose blown and oil in water. Water bottle had 25mm sludge in bottom and a respectable garage says there is so much oil in system it will not flush so they can not diagnose the initial problem.

Does anyone know what will help shift the oil on the water system?

Can anyone get back to me quickly. I cannot work and presume I have to scrap the vehicle otherwise. I have no extra funds to buy another vehicle and been advised a recon engine can be fitted £1250.00 plus VAT. I do not have funds.

//www.diynot.com/network/branthampaul/albums/

I live in Colchester, Essex.

Thanks.

Paul

Sponsored Links
You will need to remove the expansion bottle and clean this out first. you could try washing up liquid or washing powder and hot water.
A refill of the system and maybe a bars system cleaner may help next, you may need to do this a few times to get anywhere.
It may have an oil cooler that has failed or the head gasket is gone, the previous is a very common fault on these if it has one.

If you say a water hose has blown, unfortunately this points straight to a head gasket issue due to the overheating involved.
Just what you need (not).
John :)

Can an oil cooler defect also cause pressure in the water system as the oil pressure is higher?

Sponsored Links
It can, but the volume is so low that its not really counted......you'll see the oily scum but the water won't blow out.
For flushing, I use washing bio liquid....its kind to me hands, see :p

I know its bad....I just wish it had not happened just before my first pay day for some time..... thanks anyway. Paul

If you dip the oil what does it look like?
The oil in the cooling system is usually this black when the oil cooler lets go.

Ye gods :eek: that looks like courtesy of Hammer Horror Productions
I have to agree with ch here - there's more oil there than a head gasket could ever pass!

The garage it is at now has informed me it has a cracked cylinder head....so looking for a cheap replacement....any ideas people. The garage is in Ware, Herts.

I hope they disconnected the oil cooler first, nothing worse than having the head on the ground and not knowing what to say, or blame

I have no idea. However, I am asking them to find a major fault this qualifies. They have cleared the oil with a machine like a dialysis system - circulating and filtering the water system of the oil. That seems to have gone ok. I am 60 miles away!

Sponsored Links
Back