2007 Fiesta 1.4 Petrol Cam Belt Change

WSB

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
2007 Fiesta 1.4 Petrol Cam Belt Change

Has 107000 miles on the clock and never had belt changed.

Is it worth changing the cam belt yet?

Also, out of interest, for this particular model what could be the damage incurred if the cam belt were to break?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Yes it probably is worth changing it, though I don't know the intervals on one of these.

If the belt broke, you would have bent valves and possibly worse damage.

• Thanks
Reactions: WSB
Depending on what book you look in the intervals are 8 years/80,000 miles or 10 years/100,000 miles. Either way, you are there on mileage so it needs changing. Don’t forget to change the jockey wheel and tensioner too. Oh, and the alternator drive belt - it will probably be a stretch belt.

You'll probably bend several valves at least if it or any of the pulleys break.

• Thanks
Thanks all.
It's our backup car but my son uses it, so best to get sorted.
Any idea how much I can expect to pay?

Sponsored Links
It's amazing the cost of cambelt replacement, depending on where you go, anywhere between £400-£600. I do mine myself. A couple of hours and I've saved hundreds of pounds.

• Thanks
Done a fair bit of work on cars over the years but always got nervous around cam belts.
Any idea how easy this would be on this car?

So long as you get it all on correctly and timed up properly, nothing to be too nervous about really. I always make tippex marks on the old belt and the pulleys and transfer them to the new belt to aid lining them up. On your car in particular, I can't offer exact advice, but it often requires an engine mount off and lowering the block, then raising it, to get to the crank, then the water pump. Some I've needed nothing special, others I've needed a locking tool for the camshafts and one I needed one for the crank. You'd need to be determined to do it and find a proper workshop guide for particulars.

• Thanks
This engine has a free running (so no woodruff key) crank gear that is held in place by the crank pulley so you need to lock the crank in position with the tool and ensure the new bolt it is tightened to spec. You also have to lock the cam gears. (Proper way is to loosen pulleys, tension belt with a plate locking both camshafts then retighten it). I don’t bother with that and neither does anyone I know. Unless you have the tools and knowledge, I’d say pay someone who does otherwise it is easily done wrongly and that’ll cost!

• Thanks
Thanks all.
Booked car in for new cam belt with other bits, water pump plus oil and filter flush /change.
£653 including VAT

On another note, how do I know if my 2.0 diesal zafira 64 plate has a belt or chain?

Sponsored Links
Back