Shredded New Alternator Belt

WSB

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Got cam belt and alternator belt on my 2007 1.4 Petrol Fiesta changed a few weeks back.

Noticed the alternator belt is shredding.

Going to call the garage.

Just wondered what would cause that for a new belt.

Too tight, not aligned properly?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Got cam belt and alternator belt on my 2007 1.4 Petrol Fiesta changed a few weeks back.

Noticed the alternator belt is shredding.

Going to call the garage.

Just wondered what would cause that for a new belt.

Too tight, not aligned properly?

Cheers
Usually pulleys not lined up correctly. But difficult to say without looking.
Wonder if belt was damaged when fitting. Some of these stretch a belt on with no adjuster. If not done right it can cut the edge of the belt

• Thanks
Reactions: WSB
To do it properly, i guess the alternator would need moving to get belt on and moved back out to tension the belt?
Annoyed to think someone had just tried to stretch it over as a short cut.

Definately won’t have to touch alternator - the belt is a stretch belt and probably not been fitted correctly. Can you see if it is on all pulleys correctly?

• Thanks
Sponsored Links
Definately won’t have to touch alternator. Probably a stretch belt not fitted correctly.
I'm thinking back to the days when I used to repair my old cars. 1974 Hillman Avenger. Quite a simple job. Never had the belt fray like this though.
Maybe I just did a better job

These stretch belts are the spawn of the devil and they need sympathy when fitting them - if there is such a thing!
Only use a Gates or Dayco belt if you don't want to visit the dealer - ebay stuff could be well dodgy!
John :(

Just taken car in.
You're right. Was a stretchy belt.
Only on car 2 weeks.
Be interesting to see how long the replacement belt lasts.
Another stretchy one i guess

There is a fitting tool available for these which takes some of the strain off the belt - maybe the last fitter didn't use one, or didn't know how?
Either way, the new belt will have to be the same sort, unfortunately.
John :)

• Thanks
Maybe the fitting tool was a screwdriver
Shame it has to be another stretchy one.

Not on cars but I have seen an 'engineer' fitting a couple of drive belts to a motor/generator by hooking them over the generator flywheel then trying to use 2 large screwdrivers to force them over the motor drive wheel. As the motor was DOL the belts lasted about 3 seconds before shredding and flying off. Luckily the one that hit him smacked into his chest as opposed to his face.
Never seen him do it again.

Not on cars but I have seen an 'engineer' fitting a couple of drive belts to a motor/generator by hooking them over the generator flywheel then trying to use 2 large screwdrivers to force them over the motor drive wheel. As the motor was DOL the belts lasted about 3 seconds before shredding and flying off. Luckily the one that hit him smacked into his chest as opposed to his face.
Never seen him do it again.
Maybe I need to go back to doing more work on cars myself again.
Just goes to show throwing money at a problem doesn't fix it. Better to roll the sleeves up.
I only had the alternator belt changed as was having the cam belt changed and was sensible to get both done....

Maybe I need to go back to doing more work on cars myself again.
Just goes to show throwing money at a problem doesn't fix it. Better to roll the sleeves up.
I only had the alternator belt changed as was having the cam belt changed and was sensible to get both done....
To fit 1 of these belts properly yourself will involve buying a tool anyway.

Spoken to your garage about it?

• Thanks
Yep, turns out when the f*ckwit attached the pulley wheel to the water pump it wasn't put on such that it ran true.
Hence, wobbled like hell and ripped the belt.
To say I'm unimpressed is an understatement.
Took it to these chimps to have cam belt, water pump and alternator belt changed to hopefully do the right thing and extend the cars life.
Instead it's worse off than when i started.
Apparently picking it up tomorrow...

I have wound them on and off like a bicycle chain before now and never had a problem. They have the same life as a cam belt so it is good practice to replace them when the cam belt is replaced. The only one I could just not get on was for a 2008 Focus. Just couldn’t get it on after replacing the cam belt. It’s wasn't like fitting any other Ford stretch belt - I ****ed two of them up trying to fit them so I had to buy a special tool just to fit the belt on - it bolted to the water pump pulley and was a cam type affair that really stretched the belt. Used it two times since in the 5 or so years of owning it.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
Back