2010 Mazda 2 tailgate latch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Could I pick everyone's brains, please?

2010 Mazda 2. To open the tailgate, it has a momentary switch which just sends a pulse to an actuator which pops the catch. It's the daughter's old car, but there's still life in it yet, and the youngest is now 17, so I'm just tidying it up a bit for him. One of the problems, was a number of unsightly and rusting dents in the tailgate.

I got another tailgate the right colour from a scrapyard, but the guy had just cut through the wires, rather than unplugging the loom. No matter, I took the loom out of the old tailgate, plugged everything in, and now it doesn't work!

The heated rear screen, high level brake light and rear wiper all work OK, so I know there's power getting down the harness, but the tailgate lock does nothing. I swapped it for the old one - still nothing. I swapped the pushbutton for the old one - still nothing...

The only thing I noticed was that during the job, the car was unlocked, but the alarm went off several times... (Each time, it was shut up by pressing the unlock button on the remote). So I'm now wondering whether the electrical system is smart-arsed enough to need a computer plugging in, to somehow "re-initialse" or re-set the system? The pushbutton only has two wires, but the lock has four - which puzzles me. There's obviously more to it than just a simple solenoid or door lock motor...

Sponsored Links
Obvious question probably, but.

Did the actuator taken out of the car have the same number of wires and colours?

I don't think these need any coding, but it may be an idea to disconnect the battery for an hour and then retry .

Obvious question probably, but.

Did the actuator taken out of the car have the same number of wires and colours?

I don't think these need any coding, but it may be an idea to disconnect the battery for an hour and then retry .
As far as I can see, all 4 wires are black, but yes, both looms had the same number of wires going into a multiplug connector that plugged into either lock. They look identical.

Tried disconnecting the battery for 15 minutes, but could certainly try a longer disconnection.

Sponsored Links
Back