2011 Polo TDI (CFWA) fault code

Thanks John!

MOT due in December so plenty time for the young fella to save £300 if needed.

There's a YT video that reckons the EGR can be removed via the N/S of the engine if pipes and the likes are removed.

Sponsored Links
What products are we talking about when effectively cleaning out an EGR?

The CFWA engine EGR splits in half, the valve body and the heat exchanger.

When I get the job to do, I'll pull it apart and steep them in cleaner to dissolve the carbon then flush it out.

I seen YT videos for a product called Chemdip over in the US which cleans alloy cylinder heads up a treat.

Nothing beats a variety of scrapers, washing the debris away with brake cleaner in my opinion....I can’t see how a 5 second dose with a cleaner can defeat thousands of miles of carbon build up!
John :)

The bother with the CFWA EGR is the heat exchanger being formed into cores so I doubt a scraping tool would be effective. Perhaps a bottle type wire brush.

Presumably VW supply them on a part X basis so they can clean, service and resell them!

Sponsored Links
The EGR cleaning job is booked in for October.

If its not possible to clean it out, does anyone know what Pierburg and Magnetic Mirelli products are like. Their EGRs are about the £200 mark where as a part X from VW is £350.

Job now done!

Couldn't be bothered with the faff of pulling the front suspension apart to get access to the EGR so the car went into a garage we know who fitted an after-market EGR supplied by a motor factor in NE England who specialize in VW.

All is well now!

Apparently you can get the EGR out from the LHS of the engine but first you have to work one handed underneath to get all the pipes removed and I simply couldn't be bothered.

Back