2013 Fiesta 1.5 TDCI Starter removal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Its the UGJC engine.

Its not cranking apparently but I'm not sure what the bother is yet. Could be the battery, a bad connection or starter to name some common aliments. If the starter has to come off the car, are there any peculiarities for getting it removed?

Sponsored Links
Its not cranking apparently but I'm not sure what the bother is yet.

I had that once with a Fiesta when I over cranked it when changing a fuel filter. There’s an electrical safety cut out somewhere in the system that protects the starter from burning out. I had to connect a wire from the starter solenoid directly to the battery to get it cranking. Once it had started, everything was back to normal.

https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/what-have-you-been-doing-today.539356/page-246#post-4922158

The problem was the floor mat, x2, under the clutch pedal not letting the pedal go all the way down to close the pedal switch.

I threw one mat out of the car and turned the other round so its not under the pedal.

One of the easiest recovery jobs I've ever done.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
To continue the saga, got called out again today for the same issue, the engine wasn't cranking.

Got it back to base with a jump start and a bit investigation revealed the battery was at 11.47v and dropping to about 6v when cranking so a new battery ordered.

The pedal switch is fine by the way. I pulled it out and the multimeter reckoned 0Ω with the switch closed. Funny how a battery can fail so quickly. When I sorted it earlier in the week, I cranked it about a dozen times, albeit I didn't measure the voltage, yet not a whisper of bother.

Being a stop/start system, naturally the battery is more expensive.

Back