2014 ''efficient'' tax exempt Insignia ''eco'' flex getting 35-40 mpg. listed as 63-88 mpg .

Yep, that is a common failure and it is a specially made stat for the engine. A work around, was to push fit a more common stat into the top rubber hose. I think I heard a Renault stat fitted the hose with a bit of persuasion.
Alas, I didn't know about that bodge (it's a Renault 5 thermostat) when I first got the car, so I struggled my little fingers off, doing a "proper" one!

Sponsored Links
Interesting. I don't have anything looking like that on the Freelander. It's probably the most basic EGR setup I've ever seen, so I suspect that was a bit Landrover did themselves.
The Freelander TD4 has the same EGR valve as the BMW M47/M57. The EGR valve itself is directly on the intake of the plastic manifold.However many Freelanders do not have an EGR cooler so all that is there is just a metal pipe going to the exhaust manifold. The plastic part in the video is just a thermostat for the cooler which is the square metal part it's bolted to. Cooling the EGR reduces Nox emissions further than un-cooled which I suspect enabled BMW to reach Euro 4 standards when most of the Freelanders of the time were Euro 3. It does make the whole system a lot more complex though!

Alas, I didn't know about that bodge (it's a Renault 5 thermostat) when I first got the car, so I struggled my little fingers off, doing a "proper" one!

I did the same, replacing the stat because I was convinced it had failed due to the long warm up times - not aware of the Renault stat.

Sponsored Links
The Freelander TD4 has the same EGR valve as the BMW M47/M57. The EGR valve itself is directly on the intake of the plastic manifold.However many Freelanders do not have an EGR cooler so all that is there is just a metal pipe going to the exhaust manifold. The plastic part in the video is just a thermostat for the cooler which is the square metal part it's bolted to. Cooling the EGR reduces Nox emissions further than un-cooled which I suspect enabled BMW to reach Euro 4 standards when most of the Freelanders of the time were Euro 3. It does make the whole system a lot more complex though!

Definitely nothing like that on the Freelander. Just the bit of convoluted pipe straight from the exhaust to the EGR valve. I didn't think any manufacturers met any of the emissions limits much before they had to? They normally seem to leave it to the last minute!

Back