20cm extra on stud wall? or rebuild?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm moving one of my internal stud walls into a bedroom by about 20cm (I know... but it will make all the difference to the bathroom that's *just* too small)

Here's a diagram, note that the door ("====") isn't moving, so when I move the wall, there will be a gap that needs to be sorted out.

[code:1]
Before
| |
|====+-----------+
| |
| +-+
| |
| |

After
| |
|====
| GAP
| +-------------+
| |
| |
[/code:1]

Not sure how I will make good this tiny gap in the wall... either tack on a tiny additional stud wall, or tear out a chunk of the existing corridor wall and rebuilding bigger. The second option sounds like lots more work to me but is the first option sensible? I guess I just have to be very careful to make sure my little addition is true to the existing wall...?

Any advice appreciated (apart from "don't move the wall 20cm you dolt!")

Sponsored Links
there is nowt unusual about what you are doing, go for it!

the remaining gap can be made good with studding, no problem.

if the door and casing section is to remain intact then just take care when filling in the gap. make sure you have the door in its closed position checking that the gap is equal around the door and that everything lines up, prior to fixing the make up timbers. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back