Insulated stud wall on external wall - cannot seal the top

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've had built a stud wall using 3x2 inside a long external, solid wall in order to provide insulation. The stud is insulated with 75mm PIR and there is approx 2" air gap between the stud and the external wall.

This is in a single-storey, wooden construction building with open roof, no ceiling. We have to allow for movement in the external walls which means we cannot bridge the two walls with anything rigid. So the stud stops about 2" below the eaves - this is also required as the building could shrink and needs breathing room so it cannot 'fall' on the stud wall.

As it is now, you can get your hand in the void behind the stud wall, the top is totally open all the way along. I know normally these days such walls are sealed to prevent warm air condensing inside the cavity but we cannot do this.
An obvious solution is to pack the gap at the top with mineral wool but I am wondering since it is not sealed, if we should actually prefer air movement in the void like in old houses where trying to prevent draughts can cause problems.

Another option is we could cap the top of the stud with a sort of fascia, which has just a tiny gap to the external wall like 1mm.

My fear was with the open pitched roof, we might get hot air in the top of the roof flowing down the roof as it cools slightly, and 'falling' into the void where it immediately cools a lot and gets condensation.

So - stuff the top with insulation, cap it, leave it open, or something else?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back