Insulating and cladding a log wall, and VCLs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you for all the help regarding warm roofs, fingers crossed that is all figured out now :)

We also will need to insulate some of our walls, which are 70mm solid spruce. We're working on the basis of 75-100mm PIR.
From discussion on roofing about VCLs, my understanding is we'd now need to put the VCL on the inside of the PIR to prevent warm room air hitting the logs and causing condensation which would be particularly bad on a timber wall?

Someone suggested we should employ an air gap, if so where and why? I'd assume we'd have interior cladding, VCL, PIR, external wall?

We are discussing whether the internal finish should be plaster, or cladding. I imagine one builds a standard stud wall, fits PIR and then fit the cladding material on the studs just like building an internal wall in your house - is that all there is to it? Would you sheet the entire wall with VCL on top of the studs/PIR then clad on top of that?

Sponsored Links
Thank you for all the help regarding warm roofs, fingers crossed that is all figured out now :)

We also will need to insulate some of our walls, which are 70mm solid spruce. We're working on the basis of 75-100mm PIR.
From discussion on roofing about VCLs, my understanding is we'd now need to put the VCL on the inside of the PIR to prevent warm room air hitting the logs and causing condensation which would be particularly bad on a timber wall?

Someone suggested we should employ an air gap, if so where and why? I'd assume we'd have interior cladding, VCL, PIR, external wall?

We are discussing whether the internal finish should be plaster, or cladding. I imagine one builds a standard stud wall, fits PIR and then fit the cladding material on the studs just like building an internal wall in your house - is that all there is to it? Would you sheet the entire wall with VCL on top of the studs/PIR then clad on top of that?

Where did you want to run the services?

Originally surface mounted before we planned to insulate. We had considered underfloor but I am fairly keen to avoid that so the floor can be filled with insulation. The electrician had suggested running trunking overhead with descending cables/conduits but I am currently considering floor-level trunking since not all walls will be insulated and that might just be easier; run it all around the interior perimeter. I think you can run (cold) water pipes with cables?

Sponsored Links
There are always various ways you can construct walls etc in buildings ,but the principle here is the vapour barrier/check/control layer (don't know VPL :!:) is positioned on the warm side of the insulation ( google interstitial condensation ) You could have plasterboard and skim on battens to create a services void, on Visqueen sheeting as vapour barrier, on studding with 100mm PIR insulation between studs, suitable Sisalkraft or whatever breathable membrane and whatever your exterior cladding system is.

Lol, I only just noticed my mistake I'd been wondering what you were on about!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back