Metal Shed Insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I am building a shed in my garden. The stud walls are going to be made from treated cls, 16 inch centres and will be cladded with metal box profile cladding on 3 of the 4 walls.

On the front wall I am going to be using wooden cladding as it's the only visible wall and the only wall that needs to look shed like. The other 3 metal/ stud walls are surrounded by fences. The inside is going to be plylined.

So I have bought the insulation today which is rockwool flexi as its cheaper than kingspan or that type of PIR insulation and it says its suitable for metal stud walls.

The wall thickness is 63mm and the insulation I bought is 50mm.

So my main questions are:

Do I butt the isulation right up against the metal cladding or leave a slight gap for air flow?

Do I need ventilation going into the stud walls themselves?... I am making ventlilation going into the shed cavity itself but not sure about whether the stud walls need there own ventilation system? If so any ideas on how to do this?

... Pretty much my main concern is I don't want condensation building up on the metal cladding behind the plylining and then one day find out its all damp and moldy.

So any advice regarding this situtation is appreciated.

Many Thanks,

Antony

Sponsored Links
not the way i’d do it. i’m going to be building a whopper in the garden shortly.
like yours , 2 of my external walls wont be visible and are on the boundary, but the most exposed to wind and rain. i’m building it from 4x2 treated .panelling the exterior with osb covered in roofing membrane then my profiles will be screwed to that.

Any air gap on metal sheet will produce condensation. Quilt insulation is air permeable.

You'll need to construct a sealed insulated frame, form a minimum 25mm fully ventilated and drained air cavity, and then fix the metal sheet.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back