20mm Stone Pebbles/Aggregrate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

I'm about to start a project to make the area under the pergola a stone/pebble garden. As this will be a large area will it work if i use a base layer of cheaper grey aggregate and over lay with the stone effect I want? i.e. to save money use only the expensive pebbles as the top soil as it were.
I've seen new homes builders do this (in fact they don't even use the same colour aggregate - beige with grey over the top - this is where i got the idea) anybody done this and is there any advice/tips you can give me?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Just to clarify (sorry if its a silly question) but would I put the aggregate under the weed membrane and then the decorate gravel over the top - would it matter what type of aggregate I use (size wise e.g. 10mm/20mm etc) as say 20mm shingle is 44.00 for nearly a tonne so much cheaper than the decorative grey slate i want to see.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Use the aggregate under the membrane and gravel on top, a bigger size stone than 20mm would be better if the area is going to be walked on, or if you had cats in the garden.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back