210L Megaflow big enough?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

Im involved in a house refurb of 4 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms, of which will be 3 showers and one bath. showers will be Aqualisa digital units.

current owners are two parents and two small children.

current megaflow is a 210L.

heating engineer has advised 210L probably wont be enough for 3 bathrooms and recommending a second 210L megaflow, as will be cheaper than replacing with a 300L.

what are your guys opinions on this?

thanks.

Sponsored Links
forgot to add its a indirect, so a 19min recovery time.

also been reading that a 210L they sell for a 4/5 bed, 2 bath, shower.

yep also agree i'd even say 300ltr could be to small so 2 x 210 ltr much better

Sponsored Links
thats 19min at full power which is probably 20kw (not sure exactly)

heating engineer has advised 210L probably wont be enough for 3 bathrooms

Is it three bathrooms or 1 bathroom and 2 ensuites?

Fitted a 300/L oso solar supplying 4 showers and 1 bathroom. 4 bed, two parents and 6 children property. Only the top half working at the moment. Plus the controls engineer fitted the rvp331 sensor in the top solar sensor pocket. Had my doubts but its coping fine so far. Children are small though.
My opinion is that the 210 will be fine if its 1 bathroom and two ensuites.

downstairs guest bathroom, shower only.

upstairs main bathroom, one bath, separate shower.

upstairs onsuite, shower only.

hence my one bath, 3 showers.

Depends on their levels of personal hygiene.

Personally I can wash with half a bucket of cold water, given the option.

Yes, but this is the UK and not Africa!

The general rule of thumb is 50 li plus 50 li per person so 210 li cylinder roughly meets that.

A friend who used to be an HVAC lecturer used to work on 37 li in that format but that was based on older ideas and people expect more nowadays.

My view is that 210 li would be adequate IF their usage is "normal" UK. But people from other countries/cultures do expect to wash more. Moslems/Jewish should wash before prayers. Whilst that traditionally has only meant washing feet/hands many now like to have several showers so that sometimes has to be taken into account!

When I was a student you were only allowed one bath a week on Tuesday etc. and only 4" deep! Things have changed a bit since then. Even so I have encountered a landlord who depowered the combi between 1030 pm and 0600 in the morning!

Tony

Yes, but this is the UK and not Africa!

The general rule of thumb is 50 li plus 50 li per person so 210 li cylinder roughly meets that.

A friend who used to be an HVAC lecturer used to work on 37 li in that format but that was based on older ideas and people expect more nowadays.

My view is that 210 li would be adequate IF their usage is "normal" UK. But people from other countries/cultures do expect to wash more. Moslems/Jewish should wash before prayers. Whilst that traditionally has only meant washing feet/hands many now like to have several showers so that sometimes has to be taken into account!

When I was a student you were only allowed one bath a week on Tuesday etc. and only 4" deep! Things have changed a bit since then. Even so I have encountered a landlord who depowered the combi between 1030 pm and 0600 in the morning!

Tony
I Didn't know fire had been discovered then??

what's important in hot water is reheat time for obvious reasons.

How frequently are all showers and baths going to be running simultaneously? Most of the time its only the kitchen tap that opens when others are opened.

For this reason you could get away with much smaller cylinder, a 19kw storage combi can supply 144 litres in the first 10 minutes....

another issue is the coil size in cylinders...in the UK they only have to be small one way round this is to install a twin coil cylinder...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back