22mm UFH pre routed chipboard flooring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there. I'm planning a renovation and installing UFH in the first floor bedrooms which are suspended joist floors - approx 18" or 460mm centres (approx 410mm span) joists. I'm going to lift the exsiting floorboards, clear out the voids, batten the sides of the joists to support rigid PIR boards to sit flush with tops of joists, then oversheet with the prerouted 22mm P5 chipboard flooring (2400mm x 600mm) which you then lay the ufh pipework in, then lay 10mm laminate over (with a 2mm cushion layer between).

Question is, in order to get the laminate orientated correctly (lengths pointing to the windows) the pipework needs to run at 90deg to the laminate, meaning the 22mm chipboard will need to run along the length of the joists. This means one long side of the chipboard will be unsupported along the length. I've read the short ends can fly between joists, but what about the long edges? Planning on gluing and screwing as standard, but don't fancy nogging / dwanging every second joist span. Bear in mind that with the 25mm battens supporting the PIR, the clear span would be about 360mm. Is gluing the long edges enough to stop any bounce?

Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back