24 hr setting on Yale

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just put a PIR in my caravan which is on my drive, I would like to put it on the 24 hr setting which is obviously 24/7 protection, now my question is, when I go out of my house and set alarm, how do I set it to protect house as normal, ie surely alarm is already on protecting caravan so how do I protect house as normal, and on return when i turn alarm off to enter, is caravan still protected, and am i correct in thinking i would have to go into program to turn caravan off, sorry I may sound stupid as its probably a simple answer, but its due to this forum you understand more.[/b][/code]

Sponsored Links
I don't know what you mean by 24 hour setting.

Once you have set it, it stays set until you unset it.

What model of alarm have you got, and which part of the instruction book are you looking at?

It's a 6400 (new) just found out I can only use 25 hr with a door contact and not a PIR, looking more closely into it, it seems to me that when u set devices ie control panel burgler, entry, etc, on choosing 24 hr, then that device is armed with alarm on or off, 24/7, it's going to be a bit difficult trying to fit a door contact in caravan as I really wanted to put a PIR
[/b]
Just found emergency setting, it seems to be the same as 24 hr, setting basicly as its active all the time, and it may let me use a PIR

Yep its like a panic button operated by sensing movement.

Just be careful where you point the pir as towards the windows may detect moving currents of warm air if the sun is strong even in the winter.

Technically the pir sensors detect anything that is 8 degrees centigrade higher in temp than its calibrated ambient temperature reference point.

Sponsored Links
Bugger,!!!!! Just read emergency is also a DC, only, everyone out there who has a caravan, knows how difficult it is to put a DC on a door, because of the thick rubber seal going round, anyway there's know guarantee that they woul come through a door as its just as easy to force a plastic window.

Are you sure?

Add a new pir into your system and see what options are available when you learn it in.

As for fitting a door contact. It should be possible some way easily enough. Even if you have to create a bracket of some description. All you need is some way that the magnet and sensor are separated when someone opens the door.

What about using a door contact as a device to set the alarm off if someone tries to steal your caravan by towing it away?

Just fasten the sensor under the caravan and have a method of pulling the magnet away from the sensor to activate the alarm. Perhaps a string attatched to the wheel.
I used to be in the Army and was taught booby traps and demolitions. Would be a simple task.

It does say in the manual that a 24 hr device will only work with a DC, however I will try a PIR like you suggested, I'm not so bothered about the caravan being towed away, ( well obviously I am ) but as I have wheel clamps and hitch locks fitted that would be very difficult, I'm more concerned with the contents, ie bikes, awning, etc which I keep inside, I suppose if they did get in through a window, they would need to open the door to take the contents out anyway, so I suppose the DC would do its job there, however unless you have seen the inside of a caravan door you would then appreciate the problem of fitting a DC.[/b]

post a pic of the door and I will offer a suggestion. I have never failed to install a door contact yet and have fitted in excess of 3000 of them.

securit";p="2571479 said:
post a pic of the door and I will offer a suggestion. I have never failed to install a door contact yet and have fitted in excess of 3000 of them.[/quot
View media item 52444 View media item 52443

I would get a piece of 4mm ply and cut two rectangular pieces about 2cm x 5cm (just guessing.

fasten these flat against the door and surround so they were almost touching by 3mm or so allowing the door to open and close without catching and simply screw the sensors into these. Paint them white first if you wish.

Ok ta, I'll give it a go tomorrow, I would rather use screws than the sticky back fitting, but with a thick rubber surround on frame and the same on door it's Gonna be awkward either way,? But with a bit of ply to bring it out a bit, it may work, with all your DC or PIR fittings do you trust the adhesive pads on back.

I always screw them and not just stick them.
In a kitchen envoronment where there may be condensation or steam it has been known for the double sided tape to absorb moisture and fail meaning the tamper spring pushes the sensor off the doorframe and you get a false alarm.

For what it takes I always screw them. You dont even need to predrill pilot holes if you are going into pvc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back