240 RSF failed expansion vessel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
On a 240 RSF, water comes out of expansion vessel valve when depressed.
Strangely, pressure does not jump greatly when CH is on. From 0.8 up to about 1.5. I thought a failed vessel would mean a large pressure rise up to 3bar and then PRV venting? I don't get that.
The installation manual says that the gas valve must be removed to replace the expansion vessel.
Does this mean I need an RGI out, just to perform this simple swap? :(
Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Its not such a simple job and does need an RGI.

You could add an external EXV to the system somewhere.

You probably have air in the top of the rads adsorbing most of the expansion so DONT go bleeding them!

Tony

Its not such a simple job and does need an RGI.

Not simple in general, or not simple *because* it requires an RGI?
The expansion vessel seems attached by a single nut. Pretty easy to replace? Except for the gas valve being in the way.

You could add an external EXV to the system somewhere.

Could you recommend one?
I see the original one is bout £35, but I can get any if it's external to the boiler, right?

You probably have air in the top of the rads adsorbing most of the expansion so DONT go bleeding them!

I've drained and refilled it many times with little effect. My routine of one bleed pass of all rads, mustn't be removing all air. Thankfully :)
On old rounded top rads, the bleed nipple is a half inch or so below the rad top. Perhaps it's impossible to bleed these fully?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back