Water in expansion vessel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
On the advice I received from this forum about my heating problems. The first step was to check the pressure in my expansion vessel,and increase by using a footpump if found to be low.On removing the plastic cap and depressing the valve when attaching the footpump to the expansion vessel valve,there was a spray of water under pressure issuing from the valve. Would I be correct in saying this should not have happened and my expansion vessel is faulty. ANY HELP ON THIS MATTER WOULD BE APPRECIATED.

Sponsored Links
No option I'm afraid, replace it. (unless it was only a very, very small amount of water that could be condensation)

oilman said:
No option I'm afraid, replace it. (unless it was only a very, very small amount of water that could be condensation)

I have looked again and it appears to be a large amount of water, so no other option but to replace my expansion vavle. What would I expect to pay for an engineer to supply and fit, or is this something I could to myself.

You could replace it yourself on some boilers, the price will vary from £25-£70 for the vessel depending on size or shape. If you have the space you could fit an external one by adding a Tee connection on the flow pipe. You need one at least 10% of the total system volume. It can never be too big.

For fitting add £40, maybe more I can't say really....

Sponsored Links
Thanks oilman, replaced expansion vessel 3 days ago and combi pressure now stable.Engineer charged £84.

Was it an internal or external vessel, and what size? What type of boiler?

The expansion vessel was internal, about rugby ball size and was part of a Worcester Bosch 350 combi.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back