expansion vessel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi am I correct in saying if water comes out of the top valve of the expansion vessel when depressed its faulty.
would draining the boiler and re pressure be a waste of time
thanks

Sponsored Links
Thanks ive spent a fortune on boiler last few weeks new boards ect is there an easy cost effective replacement vessel as its impossible to remove it from the back of boiler I cant afford to replace the boiler at the moment
thanks

You can have an expansion vessel - of the same size - placed into the central heating pipework if you need to...checkout Screwfix 97531 for example. The feed to the existing one is just blanked off.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Thanks ive spent a fortune on boiler last few weeks new boards ect is there an easy cost effective replacement vessel as its impossible to remove it from the back of boiler I cant afford to replace the boiler at the moment
thanks

You'd need to take it off the wall but unless your gas safe registered your goosed as would involve "breaking" a gas connection.

Even if there is enough room to remove it from above the boiler you may need to disconnect the flue bend, either way you need a registered installer.

Thanks for the advice I think I shall have to join the gas board scheme and wait a couple of weeks to get it sorted unless I can get someone local to telford who can sort it for a reasonable price :(

Thanks for the advice I think I shall have to join the gas board scheme and wait a couple of weeks to get it sorted unless I can get someone local to telford who can sort it for a reasonable price :(
dont take this the wrong way, but do you have any experience or are you a plumber? getting gas safe registered just to do this makes no sense.

Hi im not a plumber I am a fitter for various tools not sure what sort of ballpark figure it would cost to have fitted a new vessel

Hi im not a plumber I am a fitter for various tools not sure what sort of ballpark figure it would cost to have fitted a new vessel

vessel, 50-100 quid depending on boiler

fitting, 1-2 hours labour.

You may not need to take anything off the wall.

If the schrader valve in the original vessel is holding pressure (water or air) when not depressed, you could just leave it in the boiler and ignore it.

If the schrader valve leaks water when not depressed, I am guessing there is a possibility you could consider a metal dust cap with ptfe tape that could withstand up to 3 bar?!

Some boilers offer some access to EV without taking off wall.

Fitting additional vessel is usually straightforward.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back