240v decking lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, Im after some advice on decking lights please. I will be installing power to the area near my decking and therefore wish to install mains powered decking lights. I have seen some online that are 240 v 0.45w led on each light. I will install approx 6-8 lights, so is there any issue in wiring this in series and plugged in directly to an external socket with a suitable size fuse without a transformer. Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
I am installing armoured cabling to an external socket in the garden.

Sponsored Links
What I suppose I need to decide is weather I install a plug and play deck light kit with a transformer or do I use mains powered deck lights. But as i have an external socket situated at the decking it would be sensible to just plug the deck lights in with a suitable fuse. The consumer unit is RCD protected and I will have the external socket taken from a spur in the house.

Main issue with using mains cable at Mains 240V voltage to join outside decking lights together is that you have to ensure that cable is not at any point in the future damaged or pulled or worn to expose the internal wires.
This is often hard to do as cable outside easily gets worn, or damaged.
And terminating SWA armored cable in and out of lighting fixtures (if they are not designed for this application) is complex and hard work.

Hence why many prefer the lights to be joined by a wire that is at say 12V

I was just thinking on doing the attached, is there anything wrong with this? I already have an external socket so makes sense to connect here.

Attachments

• 20200513_175127.jpg
    20200513_175127.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 270
As above, if you want the hassle of weatherproofing each fitting and cable joint and protecting the cable so that it cannot be damaged and cause injury then carry on.
The more sensible option is a nice weatherproof power supply near your socket and 12 volts (or 24 if you have long runs) to 12 (or 24) volt lamps.
You still need to keep the cable neat but consequences from any mechanical damage to it or the lights are much less significant.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back