power to decking-lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just purchased and fitted new set of decking lights. The decking is approx. 12m from the house (nearest power supply). Unfortunately the transformer is on a short-lead so will not streach to house. I therefore need to run a power cable from the house to the decking and connect. Any ideas what type of outdoor cable would suit? I prefer to use conduit-pipe to run at base of my fence-panels. The connection to the house could either be a simple hole drilled thru garage-wall or I could install an outside socket. The deckling lights are only used very occasionally so don't see need to bury cable beneath ground. Thanks

Sponsored Links
The deckling lights are only used very occasionally so don't see need to bury cable beneath ground
Deaths from electric shock are also very occasional but are non reversable.

Extend the ELV (extra low voltage ) cable between LEDs and transformer and keep the transformer in the house / garage. Unless they are large LEDs or lots of them 5 amp mains cable will be OK to extend the ELV cable.

Much safer way to do it.

I'm no expert...

I did something similar and used http://www.screwfix.com/p/prysmian-lv-armoured-3-core-black-1-5mm-25m-cable-reel/53747 with the correct glands , connected at one end to a 13amp FSU (actually I used a 13amp plug on flex so I can fully disconnect and use a timer for xmas lights etc) and at the decking end to an outdoor socket.

In my case I also used one of these http://www.screwfix.com/p/bg-4-way-weatherproof-power-controller/20964 branched from the socket using outdoor flex and appropriate glands and hard wired a pond pump and some lights into that. You can use your laptop/radio etc at the deck then if you like.

Burying it isn't difficult but you could also clip it to the fence using the correct clips.

Lots of issues like Earthing/RCD protection to think about though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back