240v LED Down Lighters Flash On then Stay Off

THX

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

Hope someone can help shed some light (sorry) on this weird issue.

I have 8 Osram 240v 5w LED down lighters in my kitchen, controlled by two wall switches.

I went to switch them on tonight as normal only to find that they all flashed on once then stayed off. I tried again only to find them flash on again and then stay off.

I have tried the following:

- Changed over the wall switches for known working ones
- Removed each LED unit in turn to see if one unit was causing the problem

As these are 240v units – no 12v transformer, I’m baffled by what has suddenly gone wrong. Also the circuit breaker for the lights is fine and not tripping.

Does anyone have a clue as to what this sudden fault may be caused by??

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Had they been functioning correctly prior to this fault?
Or have they only recently been installed?
Did you removing the light lighting from the circuit or just remove the lamp(bulb)?

Hi PrenticeBoyofDerry

Thanks for your reply.

In answer to your questions:

• They have been functioning perfectly for the past 10 months, when they were installed.
• I just removed the GU10 LED bulb from its socket.

A couple more observations that I can add since posting:

If you keep the switch off for a period of time, then switch on, they come on and flash a view more times before going out. Once or twice they would even come on normally (no flashing) but then go out a few seconds later. It’s almost like something is building up a charge.

Also, during these longer flashing periods, you can hear an arcing/fizzing noise coming from the wall light switch.

There has been no other disturbances or electrical works in the house that may have triggered this fault. The only thing I can think of is some type of thermal expansion effecting the wiring somewhere due to the central heating pipes now being on and warm…?

It’s just really weird that it should just suddenly start doing this.

Also, during these longer flashing periods, you can hear an arcing/fizzing noise coming from the wall light switch
That has to be the place to investigate thoroughly.

You say you've replaced the switch, so it's not that (unless you're making the same mistake installing them each time).

Check for broken conductors near the switch.

Sponsored Links
Also, during these longer flashing periods, you can hear an arcing/fizzing noise coming from the wall light switch
That has to be the place to investigate thoroughly.

You say you've replaced the switch, so it's not that (unless you're making the same mistake installing them each time).

Check for broken conductors near the switch.
As BAS has posted, sounds like the switch is the problem, isolate circuit and investigate the switch. Does sound like a broken conductor, that could be making contact when cold, then when power is offered heat expansion is breaking the contact.
If it's stays on for longer when left but a shorter period if immediately used again, sounds like the problem.
Does this take the fuse/breaker out, if not what type of fuse/breaker is protecting the circuit?

[/quote]As BAS has posted, sounds like the switch is the problem, isolate circuit and investigate the switch. Does sound like a broken conductor, that could be making contact when cold, then when power is offered heat expansion is breaking the contact.
If it's stays on for longer when left but a shorter period if immediately used again, sounds like the problem.
Does this take the fuse/breaker out, if not what type of fuse/breaker is protecting the circuit?[/quote]

It does not trip the breaker. The breaker is a (Hager MTN106 1 Module MT Series Type B Single Pole Miniature Circuit Breaker)

Just came home tonight and tried the lights. One quick flicker and they then stayed on fine as if there was never a fault. I then switched them off and on again and the same fault is back.

It's very near to Halloween, maybe their haunted...:eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back