Down lighter blues...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not quite ACDCs Down Payment Blues but

In ma kitchen got a load of halogen down lighters.

They're operating off of a number of transformers.

Looks too me like 5 transformers with 10 down lighters.

Obviously 240V into transform. 2 wire out of transformer too 1 of the lighters and then a loop from 1 lighter too another.

My question is.
How can I replace these for LEDs.
I want too be able too dim them too.

Fyi.... the loop from 1 lighter too another lighter is not replaceable.

Do I need a simply buy new transformers and then new low volt LEDs?

Thanks all.

Sponsored Links
The reason for extra low voltage goes when moving to LED, better to re-wire and move to low voltage (230 vac) when changing to LED. The law says they must write on packet if not dimmable so most GU10 LED's are dimmable.

In the main 12 volt use G5.3 connections for MR16 lamps and 230 volt use GU10 for MR16 lamps, technically they are MR16 equivalent when moving to LED as they don't have a multi-faceted reflector. With all LED lamps both 12 and 230 volt the problem is you don't have 16 x 1/8 inch lit surface often the outer circle has cooling fins and the actual lit area is smaller, as a result sometimes it is found the light does not follow the equivalents given. In theroy spot lights should be aimed at light surfaces and the light is reflected off that surface. In practice many don't shine and reflect the light off a light surface so in that case area matters.

With LED you can get lamps which still seem to be sunk into the ceiling but are in fact surface mounted, these have a slightly larger diameter to the MR16 so light the room better for same wattage.
Idea-Of-3-LED-Recessed-Lighting-Free-Download-Tutorial-10W-3-inch-Round-LED-Ceiling-Recessed-Light.jpg
lamps like these have a larger area of light and may work out as a better replacement. Also surface mount versions which don't need a larger hole. Often there is no bulb as such, the lamp is the bulb LED's can last that long that they are not made to be renewed in the lamp. You change whole lamp when they go, but by making them integral they can better remove the heat from the LED's and make them last longer. Often they have a projected 10 year life.

As Eric says, the better option is to remove the transformers altogether and replace the lights with 230v alternatives. making sure they are dimmable.
This will also depend on if the existing wiring from the transformers to the lamps is suitable for mains voltage and has a cpc.(aka earth conductor)

The second plan would be to replace the halogen lamps with ELV LED lamps and also replace the transformers with compatible, dimmable LED drivers.

Note re dimmer. You may need to get a low-load LED compatible dimmer. Some existing dimmers cannot cope with the low wattage load of LED lamps.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back