230 volt down lighters

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have bought some down lighters and they state in the instructions that they can be fitted in zone 3 which according to them is above zone 1,

2.25 from floor level above a bath or shower.

I have looked in the onsite guide for electricians for 17th edition and it clearly shows a picture of a bath and shower area with red for zone 1 yellow for zone 2 and grey for outside these zones and it is grey above 2.25 so which is correct?

Can 230 volt down lighters be fitted above a shower into a ceiling that is 2.4 metres high?

Sponsored Links
Zone 3 went out when the 17th edn regs came in, now we have zone 0,1,2 and outside the zones as in your OSG.
Mains halogens can be used outside the zones yes, however they must be suitable for their location i.e. if they are to be subjected to steam/condensation/splashing they need to be the enclosed flavoured ones.
Under the 17th edn regs it also ought to be RCD protected 30mA max.

By paying the LABC their fee you could fit these lights and comply with regulations or you could employ a scheme member electrician to fit these lights likely cheaper.

You can also of course flaunt the regulations and law but I would assume you ask the question so as not to flaunt the regulations or law.

The LABC or the scheme member electrician is responsible for site safety and have to ensure the lamps comply with regulations which also includes the distance to inflammable materials and provision of the prescribed protection so there could be other reasons why they can't be fitted including lack of RCD protection on the lights.

Sponsored Links
IPX3 = Protected against water falling as a spray at any angle up to 60° from the vertical shall have no harmful effect. In zones 1 and 2 it requires IPX4 one up but since outside those zones then may be permitted.

However rather immaterial as if you want to comply with regulations with out paying through the nose then you need it to be installed by a scheme member electrician.

If you don't want to comply with regulations why ask the question?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back