Shower Down Lighter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all

I am knew here and was wandering if anyone could help me with this.

I want to install a Shower down lighter directly above a Shower head in Zone 1 but need to install it through a 30ma RCD device.

On my Mains Units I have a 5 amp fuse for all my lighting and was looking to replace this with the 30ma RCD. The problem is I can't seem to find a 30ma RCD with 5amps rating. Been to B&Q and they only have 20amp-30ma RCD modules..Can I use this? or can you find 5amp-30ma rcd ??

Sponsored Links
When you ask a question here it often creates even more questions.

1) What type of down lighter is it? Is is a special bathroom fitting?
2) Is it 230v or ELV (Low voltage).
3) What do you mean by "Mains Units" I'm asusming you mean your Consumer Unit (Fuse Box).
4) Are your fuses the rewirable type?

RCD's don't replace the fuse there protection purpose is very different. A fuse protects the circuit downstream of it from overload (i.e. drawing to much current for the capcity of the cables etc). It also provides fault protection in the case of a short circuit to rapidly disconnect of supply. (I say rapid but it may not be rapid enough to prevent a dangerous/lethal shock especally in a wet area.

RCD's sense the current flowing in the pahse conductors (Live & neutral) and if it detects a difference in the flows over its trip threshold it very rapidly disconnects the circuit. RCD therefore provide earth fault protection but have overload protection for the cable.
A device called an RCBO does both jobs but they don't exit for rewireable fuse type consumer units (as far as I know).

To advise you further we will need the info above.

From January fitting this light will fall under Part P regulations.

brown-nought said:
When you ask a question here it often creates even more questions.

1) What type of down lighter is it? Is is a special bathroom fitting?
2) Is it 230v or ELV (Low voltage).
3) What do you mean by "Mains Units" I'm asusming you mean your Consumer Unit (Fuse Box).
4) Are your fuses the rewirable type?

RCD's don't replace the fuse there protection purpose is very different. A fuse protects the circuit downstream of it from overload (i.e. drawing to much current for the capcity of the cables etc). It also provides fault protection in the case of a short circuit to rapidly disconnect of supply. (I say rapid but it may not be rapid enough to prevent a dangerous/lethal shock especally in a wet area.

RCD's sense the current flowing in the pahse conductors (Live & neutral) and if it detects a difference in the flows over its trip threshold it very rapidly disconnects the circuit. RCD therefore provide earth fault protection but have overload protection for the cable.
A device called an RCBO does both jobs but they don't exit for rewireable fuse type consumer units (as far as I know).

To advise you further we will need the info above.

From January fitting this light will fall under Part P regulations.

Hi it is a 230v special bathroom light that can be used in zone 1 over a shower head but must be connected through a 30ma RCD.

I meant Consumer Unit and my fuses are rewirable.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
plugwash said:
the easiest thing to do is probablly to use a rcd FCU (placed outside the bathroom) between the lighting cuircuit and the light/switch

I followed the link and it came up with a 13amp,30ma rcd. Would 13amp be safe or do I need to get a 5amp?

Thanks

those things take standard plug fuses they can be changed down to a 3A fuse

Thank you plugwash, I will get cracking....!

Thank you brown-nought for the information.

Cheers
deaneli Out..

And when you've done that, please spend some time reading and learning. You don't know what an RCD is. You don't even know what fuses do, and why they come in different ratings.

You really should know more than you do if you want to do electrical work...

How hight is the ceiling above your shower? Above 2.25m and it becomes zone 2.

ban-allsheds, i have read about them but still need help from more Knowledgeable and experienced people like yourself, thanks for the advise though.

Damocles the height is just under 2.25m but still wanted to be on the safe side.

Once again thanks for all your help..!

Well - this will no doubt make me unpopular with those who don't like to be made to face the facts, but...

If you really have read about MCBs, and fuses, and fuse ratings, and the concepts of circuit protection, and you still don't know -

• what RCDs do
    what sort of protection they provide
    what their rating numbers mean
    that they can't be plugged in to replace rewirable fuses
    why different circuits and appliances have different fuse requirements
    that FCUs take normal plug-top fuses, and so don't have to be 13A

then you are not capable of learning the things you need to know, and you should desist from doing anything to your wiring before you kill yourself.

And before anybody complains that I'm saying this to appear superior, or to get some perverse pleasure out of it, I'm not. I'm saying it because deaneli clearly doesn't know those things, which is fair enough, but also claims that he has read about all of them, and still doesn't grasp any of them.

Point taken mate....I seem not to grasp things that easily after reading about it and seem to be a slow learner and just needed some clarification and help.

That's what these forums are for..? aren't they..?

If you have got the patience, then it is a very good idea to read back through old posts and look at anything which seems relevant. You can just about guarantee that lots of other people have had the same problems as you.

isn't it annoying just how many bathroom ceilings are 10cm too low?

I think this site/forum is an excellent way to share and inform people. The problem is a little knowledge is dangerous. But what is more dangerous in my opinion is blind arrogance to think you can do a job in ignorance.

When I respond to a posting I always try to phase my answers, comments and suggestions not only for the original posters but also other potential readers. I know I am not alone in this and I think the forum is luck to have the likes of BAS, Breezer & co. who take so much time and trouble in their responses.

Its brave to ask a question and perhaps reveal your lack of knowledge to your peers. There is a fine line here between giving strong warnings of the dangers and sounding critical for them revealing their ill informed intentions. I want people to ask. Ok, the best advice may be a polite suggestion to call in a professional. But we all started somewhere

deaneli did the right thing - keep up the studying and asking - you will then be able to tell me a thing or two!!

I mean no offence to anyone with this view. I totally agree with BAS's views and desire to keep people safe.

But shouting often just puts people's backs up.

Idon't think its arrogance. people who are truly arrogant about knowing everything will not be here asking questions in the first place.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back