Electric radiator/towel rail in bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm planning to renovate our small bathroom and have run into a potential problem. The room is only 165cm x 209cm, and as the house only has electric heating rather than central heating I want to have an electric towel rail (as we have currently).

This is a rough plan of the intended layout, which is largely the same as the existing one but with fitted WC/sink units and a P-shaped shower bath. The main difference being that the shower will be at the opposite end to the existing (non-functioning) one which is currently next to the window.

dgi6id.jpg

Yes the above plan was done by a well-known high street bathroom company :)

My question is regarding the placement of the radiator. A quick look at said bathroom company's electric rads says they have to be sited outside zone 2, which this certainly isn't if I understand the zones correctly. Zone 1 extends 1.2 metres horizontally from the shower head, then Zone 2 is a further 60cm from the edge of Zone 1, right? Or does the 60cm start from the edge of the bath/shower screen?

So are there any electric radiators that are OK to use this close to a shower or is it a no-no?

Sponsored Links
Zone 0 is 600 mm away from the shower door.

Beyond that is fine for a f/spur or however you intend to connect the rad.

Most rads heating elements can be fitted either side of the vertical rad tubes.

So my suggestion would be so long as the electrical element in the rad is 600 mm away from the shower door / wall then everything is ok.

The grey issue is about the rad structure. Would anyone doing the work, or inspecting it argue that the whole rad needs to be 600mm away from the shower wall ??
If so then I'm sure the rad supply could be suitably IP rated for zone 1 fit.

Some thing you should discuss with the supplier and fitters.

Although the rads are handy for towel warming they don't do that well at room heating. With the footprint you have I'd have thought about under floor heating, small space, cheapest fit and not too harsh on the juice costs.

And you haven't shown wall lighting, fan / extraction or shaver point ;)

Here's the zones

electrics:special_locations_inc_bathrooms_and_supplementary_equipotential_bonding:shower_zone_17th.jpg

Thanks for that reply Chri5. I wasn't sure if the shower head being demountable rather than fixed would have any bearing on it, especially as it'll be a hinged shower screen rather than a fixed enclosure.

Although the rads are handy for towel warming they don't do that well at room heating. With the footprint you have I'd have thought about under floor heating, small space, cheapest fit and not too harsh on the juice costs.

Yes I intend to have underfloor heating - although to be honest the room never seems to get that cold with only the current towel rail, which is smaller than the one we're planning to swap it with. (At the moment there is a 1960s-vintage electric heater on the wall above the window but we very rarely use it!) I want to have a towel rail though as I can't stand cold/soggy towels! :(

One installer I spoke to suggested Enerfoil panels as they are thinner so don't raise the floor level as much as the cabled mat systems. Any thoughts?

And you haven't shown wall lighting, fan / extraction or shaver point ;)]

Lighting will be from ceiling spots and perhaps an illuminated mirror above the towel rail (which again might create issues with proximity to the shower?)

Not planning on installing an extractor fan - the opening window is good enough for me. The existing shaver point is just on the door side of the towel rail - I plan to keep the location the same but fit a flush plate instead of the big white plastic box that's there now. Zone 2 is OK for that, right?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back