Dual fuel radiator possibly in bathroom's Zone 2

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I've been scratching my head about the following and I am hoping you guys could help:

I have a 1200mm central heating towel rail to the side of a shower/bath with one end into zone 2 and the plan is to add an electric heating element to the other end with both the heating element and the fused spur well outside zone 2.

So, does this turn the whole radiator into an electric appliance within zone 2?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
I have a 1200mm central heating towel rail to the side of a shower/bath with one end into zone 2 and the plan is to add an electric heating element to the other end with both the heating element and the fused spur well outside zone 2.
That's fine.

You must have an RCD on the circuit.

So, does this turn the whole radiator into an electric appliance within zone 2?
Towel rails are allowed in Zone 2 anyway - and Zone 1 If stated suitable by the manufacturer.

Hi EFLImpudence, thanks for your reply! Yes, but that turns the work into a notifiable work, which is really what I am getting at.

Yes, but that turns the work into a notifiable work, which is really what I am getting at.
I think it would be taking things too far to say that because one side of the radiator is in zone 2 that that would come under:

"(c) any addition or alteration to existing circuits in a special location.”

Sponsored Links
If the wiring is outside the zones, there's no issue. Eg lighting outside the zones.

If the wiring is outside the zones, there's no issue. Eg lighting outside the zones.
That would certainly seem to be the common sense interpretation - although I'm not sure to what extent common sense necessarily comes into some of the regs :)

Kind Regards, John

well common sense is an uncommon commodity . my approach would tend to be that if any part of an element is within a zone or area under consideration including its casing then yes the more stringent rules apply to the whole thing. as i said that is my my approach

Are you fitting a new switch or flex outlet? Where?

Who will know or complain if it does need registering? I did things all correct for mothers house as we had social services in the house on a regular basis, on selling could not find paperwork, so applied for replacement, told will take 4 months and will cost how many hours it takes council worker to find it, in other words go away.

When they (the social services) hard wired the door bell for my mother, as batteries kept going flat, they fitted a 13 amp socket and a wallmart power supply with no RCD protection to the socket, fitted next to the consumer unit, with one side RCD protected, they just did not care if protected or not. Also no paperwork provided.

So if the council don't care, why should you? Make it safe of course, but as far as rule book goes, we have seen party gate.

well common sense is an uncommon commodity . my approach would tend to be that if any part of an element is within a zone or area under consideration including its casing then yes the more stringent rules apply to the whole thing. as i said that is my my approach
As I often say, no-one can (should) knock ultra-caution.

However, we are told that the element, wiring and switching will be 'well outside of Zone 2' and, particularly since it is a 'dual fuel' radiator, the casing will presumably quite probably be in electrical continuity with (touchable) things which are legitimately with Zones (probably including Zone 0 and Zone 1!) - so I personally really don't see an issue.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back