24v ac christmas lights

J

josey

Hi, somehow mysteriously the "bell wire" for some of our christmas lights has been cut in two. They are powered by a 240v/24v plug in transformer, the output of which is 24v a.c @ 1A. I am intending to solder the wires back together and cover with some heat shrinking, am i right in thinking it doesn't matter which wire goes where !( i.e not positive to positive neg to neg etc because it is a.c.,)

i have had a look in the control box and it does incorporate 4 diodes, to polaritize the circuit , does this sound right ? there is no markings on the wire so i don't know which way round it went anyway, and i have twisted the wires together in both combinations and both work ok.

Sponsored Links
the diaodes change AC to DC. however, the low voltage lamps arent affected by polarity so it should be fine either way. if they were LED's then they would only work 1 way

The bridge rectifier in the transformer does suggest that LEDs or a perhaps a chaser unit of some sort is connected otherwise the manufacturer wouldn't go to the bother of converting to DC i suggest you work out the polarity before connecting as there may be electronic devices somewhere that could be destroyed if connected reverse polarity.

Sponsored Links
ah must be the output wiring and incandescent lamps then so no probs

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back