28 or 22mm primary circuit pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm having a new boiler and tank fitted in a couple of weeks, both are capable of 28mm pipe diameter but my plumber says that 22 is perfectly adequate, the distance from boiler to tank will only be about 2 metres, will the be ok or am I better asking for 28 while I have the chance?

Sponsored Links
Depends of the cylinders coil rating (or in the case of tank in tank cylinders the heat transfer rating), the boiler size and whether it's to be set up as a hot water priority system.

to be sure I usually go with 54mm...

Unless your boiler is giant 22mm will do.

You would need to give us:

Boiler output-
Heat loss required for heating
Coil heat req for cylinder
Distance to cyl (which you did)

Sponsored Links
I'm having a new boiler and tank fitted in a couple of weeks, both are capable of 28mm pipe diameter but my plumber says that 22 is perfectly adequate, the distance from boiler to tank will only be about 2 metres, will the be ok or am I better asking for 28 while I have the chance?

Is it a direct cylinder you're heating CS or are there any radiators from these pipes? If you can please provide more details of the boiler & cylinder/tank then we can establish a size.

Sorry for the lack of details

Boiler is a greenstar external 25/32
Tank is green store 210sl

I believe that there will be a three way port valve to switch from radiators (plumbed in 22 throughout the house) to hot water

There will be about 12 radiators in total

I'm afraid I don't know the answer regarding heat loss, sorry

Thanks CS. I'd say 22mm will be more than enough, unless you have a huge hot water demand?!
Kids these days sometimes take two showers a day, when we were kids it was a bath once a week - if you needed it or not!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back