size of trac pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi, im going to run a new gas pipe in from the metre to where my new boiler is going to go. the distance is in the range of 15m. there will also he a 5 burner hob connected to this supply as well. i was going to use trac pipe so i can put it in position for the plumber to connect up. do anyone know the size of trac pipe i should be installing . 22mm or 28. your all going to say, ask your plumber, i wanted to install it before hand just to get it out of the way ready for the plumber to install new boiler. its a 3 bedroom house im living in. thanks for any reply, does it matter if 28 is used and its on the large side .

Sponsored Links
Are you competent to install a gas pipe?
I question if you are judging by the question...

"(1) No person shall carry out any work in relation to a gas fitting or gas storage vessel unless he is competent to do so."

If you aren't then what you are doing is both potentially dangerous and illegal

No gas engineer is going to help you and it's cheeky coming on a forum asking people who spend thousands training etc to explain to you.

as above, tracpipe is marked as gas therefore you shouldn't be installing it

How do you cut it?
How to you protect it?
How do you sleeve it?
How do you support it?
How do you know where you can run it and where isnt allowed?
How do you know the total volume of gas you require (exact not guess)

Running TracPipe is not a long job for a pro gasman so just let him do it when he comes

Sponsored Links
in my house the floors are all made of concrete and the meter is in a cupboard next to the front door. what i have done is made a wide trough with a wooden lid from the meter cupboard to where my stairs start. my plan was to run it through the trough , and bring it up under my stairs and i can easy run it through the kitchen to the nearest gas connection i.e hob. im not going to do the connections but just running the pipe. when my boiler is installed i will get it connected then.

the pipe would be either in the box section mentioned above which will be vented or be clipped to the wall and in the kitchen it will run behind the units. i have seen this stuff installed before some years back

i prefer to install the pipe as i will take more time to be as careful as possible with it , special clips with rubber to protect the pipe and sleeve any holes in wall i pass through. cant see the harm by me putting the pipe in to save on cost.

its a peice of cake to lay a pipe and clip it in place . just wasnt sure about the size it should be.

its a peice of cake to lay a pipe and clip it in place . just wasnt sure about the size it should be.

correct it is a piece of cake to lay pipe and clip it, it also a piece of cake for you to leave the pathway open for your gas engineer to do it as he knows the exact distances to clip it at and were it must be protected or sleeved and were it can and can't be run.
if you can do it so can he(or she)!!!

Another thing is I know someone who's got some 28mm trac pipe for sale as it was left over from a job and that's why im asking about size. Can I just use 28mm to cover myself , because at present haven't chose hob yet or boiler.

Another thing is I know someone who's got some 28mm trac pipe for sale as it was left over from a job and that's why im asking about size. Can I just use 28mm to cover myself , because at present haven't chose hob yet or boiler.

You won't listen to all the correct advice from the experts on here, so go ahead and give it a go. :rolleyes:

Can 28mm be used or will I shoot myself in the foot if its slightly oversized.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back