28mm drain cock?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There is a stuck draincock on the return pipe close to the boiler. The pipe is 28mm.

When I get around to draining down the system in the summer (to fix up a load of things) I want to replace this drain cock but I can't see where to buy a replacement from.

Do I need to buy a 28mmx28mmx15mm tee and then hook up a 15mm drain cock into the reduced tee?

Oh and while I'm here, would anyone mind telling me what I need to search for to replace the stop-end that is currently at the end of a vertical 22mm pipe in the airing cupbaord? I think I need some kind of bleed vent so I can remove trapped air from there but I'm not exactly sure what to buy.

Any advice v gratefully received with thanks!

Sponsored Links
I am a householder not a pro, but I had something similar. It is an advantage to have a full-bore drain cock, as it is very fast, and the good flow also helps wash out sediment. An ordinary 15mm drain cock has very poor flow. However the heat of a primary circuit tends to make cock washers perish and seize. One way is to have a fullbore gate valve feeding a stub pipe. If the gate is normally closed, the stub will not get very hot, only by conduction a matter of inches. Gate valves do not give a perfect seal, so on the end of the stub you can put e.g. a hose connector, with a capnut to blank it off and prevent drips when not being used, or a ballofix or similar water-tight valve. If you just rely on the gate you will get drips. You could even tee off a stub with no gate, and rely on the length of the stub to prevent it getting very hot.

I used a 3/4" washing-machine valve on the end of the stub, because you can get a hose connector that allows you to drain with a good seal and no drips

Probably easiest to fit a 15mm drain cock in a reducer, or a 28 X 15 X 28 Tee. Avoid the light pattern type B drain cocks - when opened, most of the water leaks out around the spindle threads. Type A drain cocks have a gland on the spindle, so less chance of the water running up your sleeve.

Same for the bleed valve, use a 22 X 15mm reducer, and a 15mm air vent cap.
p4768835_l.jpg

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/33206/Plumbing/End-Feed-Fittings/Air-Vent-Cap-15mm-Pack-of-10
Only problem with that one is what to do with the other nine.

Thanks to both for your suggestions.

JohnD: I followed most of what you said and it made sense except perhaps that the hosepipe is much narrower than the 28mm pipe so may as well tee into (say) a 22mm ?

Also, I didn't understand how you would fit the 3/4 inch washing machine valve on the end of the 28mm stub? I guess there's no chance of a link to the kind of thing you mean? Thanks again though.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back