Stop cock for steel pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Anyone know where I can buy a stop cock that fits onto a steel pipe. I think the pipe is 3/4 inch (see picture).

All I can find is the usual 15mm, 22mm and 28mm compression stop cocks that are for copper pipe, or the ones for MDPE pipe.

Thanks for any advice.

Steve

View media item 67661

Sponsored Links
Go anywhere near that and it's likely to disintegrate.

Get a plumber would be the best plan.

Do you know where the external stopcock is and does it work.

Hi

Thanks for your response. I am a plumber (2 years experience) and yes the external stop cock does work.

I have no experience of working with steel pipes, hence my question about finding a suitable stop cock.

Thanks

Could be a very sharp and expensive learning curve.

My advice would be to walk unless you need the work or it's family.

You can buy adaptors to copper or plastic, you just need to find a clean bit a pipe to cut.

Sponsored Links
If it's just the gland leaking, turn off stopcock, undo gland nut and wrap some ptfe around the thread and spindle. About 7 or 8 turns will make a new seal, wind the gland nut back in and turn back on. Don't try and overtighten the nut as they're only brass. After that clean the lot off (wire brush or similar) then paint it to stop the corrosion

Thanks for all the responses guys. I decided to walk away from the job (I hate doing that), as the external stop cock controlled several houses and I was not confident enough to sort out any problems.

This is the first time I have come across steel pipe into a house so I guess it is not all that common.

Thanks once again.

Steve
:)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back