28mm zone valve, for gravity hot water. Extra wire?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Why does a 28mm 2 port zone valve (for gravity h/w) require 6 wires (an extra wire-the WHITE WIRE).

What purpose does it serve.... anyone know?..

Sponsored Links
The white wire provides the link between the boiler and pump for when the valve isn't energised to keep the boiler running when the cylinder stat is satisfied. This is so the boiler and pump continue to run if heating is selected.

Give me 5 mins and I will provide a diagram.

is it this one?

c1.jpg

thanks for replying and info.

in my flat i have a normal 2 port (honeywell, 22mm) and the grey wire is cut (only has 3 wires). The h/w runs whenever htg is on!! How does the MV work if the grey is cut, as I thought this was a perm live to provide power to the orange when the auxiliary switch was closed??!! seems weird and a bodge job!!

Sponsored Links
Thank you for helping me.
In my flat the system has a pump though - and the 2 port is just after the tee to the h/w circuit (h/w is in 15mm - think it is an old type conversion kit inserted in the immersion heater boss).

Just wondered why the MV has wires cut and how it worked with no perm live (grey wire)!! :confused:

What it does depends totally on how it has been wired up.

I expect that the valve will close when the target hot water temperature has been reached.

Tony

What it does depends totally on how it has been wired up.

I expect that the valve will close when the target hot water temperature has been reached.

Tony

Exactly, but not providing a boiler interlock. Hence, the boiler will continue to cycle, wasting fuel.

yeah it does - just wondered how though as i thought to start pump/boiler, the GREY wire had to be live (perm live) to provide power to orange wire (to pump and boiler live feed) when micro/auxiliary switch in actuator was closed (by the motor when moved fully across)..

You're confusing me now!

What does this have to do with the original topic. Now you say you have a 22mm 2 port, but fully pumped.

Are you using a single channel programmer or one that provides separate hw / ch switching?

i have a mechanical type programmer (danfoss) and it has hw and htg and hw. one 2 port, with the h/w flow teed off just before the 2 port.

sorry original post was a query i had and i was trying to understand my MV and MV's in general! Sorry for confusing you! :)

Sounds like they've ignored the grey and orange. They've taken the boiler straight off the prog along with the feed to the cyl stat and then to the MV.

It works, but not correctly, and will allow the boiler to continue to fire.

so from hw on at the programmer the boiler LIVE feed and cyl stat COOMON (LIVE) terminals are taken. what about the 2 port?? Sorry..... didn't follow... thanks for explaining, much greatful.
btw from the 2 port (sorry i got it wrong) the BROWN and ORANGE have bee cut, not the grey!

I imagine the feed goes to the cylinder stat and comes out on the 'call for heat' side, then connects to the brown on the MV.

I am only guessing from the info you have provided.

If this is so, the vave will close when the cyl stat is satisfied, but the boiler will continue to cycle on it's own thermostast.

This is not correctly wired, sounds a bit diy or dabbling sparky to me. :)

thanks for helping

the 2 port has 2 wires missing from the 5: the brown and the orange! there is no cylinder stat

no room stat either

just the programmer, the boiler, pump and 1 x 2 port mv!
i believe, (am sure) the 2 port is on the htg circuit, as the h/w feed is tee'd off just BEFORE the mv.

Weird isn't it.... as you say wastes energy !

there is also no wiring centre! :(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back