i cant see its that big a deal to alter it to how you want it as long as there is a way to support and extend the purlins if there are any

it sounds like wires have got crossed, dont leave it any longer to sort out, sort it now before the job goes any further, insist on what you want but agree to split the costs for good will(you should only be looking at a couple of days labour and a couple of hundred pounds in materials )
your joiner will try to tal you out of it as he does not want to undo any of his work but once he realises you defiantly want it changing then it should not be a problem

dont wait till pay day to tell him as this will cause bigger problems
sort it amicably and fairly, put it down to crossed wires rather than both trying to lay blame

Sponsored Links
it sounds like wires have got crossed, dont leave it any longer to sort out, sort it now before the job goes any further, insist on what you want but agree to split the costs for good will(you should only be looking at a couple of days labour and a couple of hundred pounds in materials )
In fairness to the OP he should not have to check the work is being carried out in accordance with the drawings. It is a naive one who does not but nevertheless he should not have to. Why on earth should he pay extra for something that he has been led to believe he was already going to get ie open plan loft. That's what his drawings show and what the builder and carpenter presumably quoted from. The builder should stump up for the additional SE fees too. All assuming this is all as black and white as the OP is saying (no offence OP but we get some dubious posters on here).

i agree but it sounds like it was not too obvious from the drawings what was required as the bco also though it was a build on job

yes the ho could insist on the joiner standing for all the alteration work and would be within rights to but imo for the sake of a couple of hundred pounds on a job of that value the money is better given up in good will to preserve the good relationship, the job is only half done so you can guarantee the joiner will find a way to get his money back before its complete if the ho acts like an arse and the relationship breaks down

Sponsored Links
Just phoned the engineer, and he told me that he had drawn the plans based on a completely new roof - ie stripping the old one off and building from scratch. Hadn't mentioned that to me before though!

Full set of plans supplied by SE. Full stop

J Just phoned the joiner and he told me that as that would have involved a horrendous amount of work (in his view unnecessary work) that he spoke to the building control officer (but not the engineer) and they agreed between them to do it this way. First I've heard of that today too though! As far as I see, that throws the engineers calcs right out the window

Builder did not work to drawings. No busimess what so ever to do with BCO. He has no PI. His job is to say yes or no, or possibly if in good mood to offer advice, Client holds the purse stringsa. Full stop.

I really want my full-size loft, as per the plans. Is there any reason why I should accept a sloping wall right down the middle of it?

No, End of story.

Sorry Framer, we realise that there is always compromise, but in our opinion in this instance, no. Straight forwqrd easy job. Blind leading the blind. Reread the post ref sarking board
oldun ;)

i may be reading it wrong but the way im reading it is that a layboard has been nailed ontop of the old hip (with sarking in between) then jacks taken from this to the new ridge, from the picture the new/old wallplate are in line and the slates are currently stripped back so the hip and jacks need to be removed and replaced with commons and the jacks from the original end need to be removed - not that big of a job or as i said i could be understanding it wrong

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back