2g 1w light switch, seperate (crossed wiring) circuits???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Never seen this before today, but the whole wiring set up is weird (anag. wired).
2 gang single way light switch,
1st switch :- circuit 1 to com, switched out to L1.
2nd switch :-circuit 2, bridging wire from circuit 1 com to circuit 2 com, switched out on L1
B.T.W, not wired by me but if I swap 2 wires round (in roses not switch) the 1st light set works then vice versa, however, flick both switches and the mcb blows and welds the switch connections together !!
At this moment won't mention what I think is single core n earth with the earth wrapped in tape n used as the neutral.
Switch 1 controls 3 light pendants
Switch 2 controls 2 more
I've not taken down the original 3 wired by a.n.other but suspect/know something no right.
Any tips (please breezer !) :cry:
B.T.W Being nagged but kna++++ed, on nights
(Obvious answer, go back n start from scrach !!!)

Sponsored Links
some times it is quicker to re wire than to find the fault, i guess one is connected to earth/ neutral.

wonder what others think?

I would suspect they have used T&E (Twin & Earth) to wire the switch. If you change the wire over in the rose, i suspect your throwing it too neutal, or earth.

Ive drawn a diagram to help you with what i think it is.

Diagram.jpg

You can see that they have used the earth to power the 2nd circuit..clever eh..

Hope this inspires you on too fixing the fault.

Alias[/img]

Thanks for the quick responses lads,
I agree with breezer on the
some times it is quicker to re wire than to find the fault, i guess one is connected to earth/ neutral.
And thanks AliOm for the diagram, it's what I've been thinking since I last looked last Friday. These are light fittings that have been changed in SWMBO new business venture (not by me I hasten to add, her partners other half). I had a quick look and got told off as "Graham" was sorting it. However, still not working right so I can see me down there Fri p.m. sorting it out.
I'll start from the mains in and check em all as I go along (test meter and live light penfinder in hand !)
By the way, this new venture is in an old shop that used to be called "The Lighting Centre", sockets everywhere(floor and ceiling height), I'd have expected the wiring to be up to a "standard" for the fitted lights !!!!

Sponsored Links
P.S. I will report back on the findings, whether I sort it out or not, never too proud to admit defeat me.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back